Customize scenarios with gunships

Carter

Maybe this is a silly idea, but I thought I would share it.

I've customized several scenarios in TACOPS, replacing all my start units with an equivalent "lethality value" of gunships.

Basically I take away all my infantry and vehicles and replace them with a few gunships (I prefer Apaches, they're 400 points each).

This changes battles significantly. For me it was kind of fun and challenging.

Using gunships on the offense, especially in cities, got pretty hairy. But that's part of the fun. smile.gif

I'm not sure how realistic using all gunships is, but I know that there are some pure gunship scenarios already (like Task Force Kincaid).

Anyway I thought I would share this and I welcome any other ideas for customizing scenarios.

I've played against the 2S6 in TACOPS 3. Its definitly a top priority target.

After I spot one, I hit the area hard with ICM. Since the 2S6 has only light armor, accurate fire will destroy it quickly.

Other options are prioritizing my helo fire, or I suppress the 2S6 with HE before hitting it with an air-strike.

I was reading that in Desert Storm, during the a major battle with the Republican Guard, that Apaches and their scouts were used to attack enemy artillery, command posts, logistic trains, and reinforcements that were well behind the lines.

This seems to be an intelligent use of the helo's mobility in an offensive role.

The article I read is here: http://www.mideasti.org/articles/bourque.html

I've just played Task Force Kincaid.

Frustraiting! Oh for some infantry.

I usually stop OFOR in the first half of the map. They got within 3k of the west side. Infantry would ahve given a better picture of where they were and would have slowed them somewhat better.

Also I think normal arty would have been more efficent than of MLRS.

The Apaches seemed more survivable than the others.

I normally deploy helis about 4k in front of the OPFOR adavance at medium altitude. But of course having only helis I deployed most at NOE. Interestingly those at NOE suffered more casualties than those at medium altitude. The SA16s were murderous!

Infantry spotters are helpful. They can provide constant observation of the enemy. I have played with some on occation.

There is some advice on gunship tactics in the following two posts:

-Apaches 5-8-2000

-Tac Ops 1-5-2000

Pop up attacks, and hitting the enemy in-mass at long range help.

I lose a number of gunships in Kincaid, but my main trouble is running out of ammo.

You can add target reference points to help with the MLRS accuracy. I like regular artillery because you can use smoke. The smoke really interferes with enemy SAMs.

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: Carter ]