A question for you folks

CMplayer

Hi,

I've got the TacOps demo and think it is excellent. My question is whether you think that the full version of the game could be used to create scenarios which, through their unit selection and other paramaters, would give the feel of WWII battles. Basically I'm looking for a WWII game at about the scale of TacOps which will run on a Mac, and I thought a solution like this might work as a stop-gap.

Has anyone tried restricting unit purchases to give an anachronistic feel to the game. Or can custom units/vehicles be created in the Scenario editor?

regards,

--Rett

Custom units can not be created with the scenario editor. You can exchange any unit in the game data base for any other unit in the game data base. In other words, you can turn a Bradley IFV into an M113 APC, turn a T72 tank into a T55 tank, etc.

At present there is no way to realistically portray WWII actions using TacOps.

The key problems follow ...

The oldest U.S. tank in TacOps is the M60. The oldest OPFOR tank is the T55. Both of these tanks are too accurate and long shooting to have any resemblance at all to WWII tanks.

Artillery in TacOps is far too responsive for WWII.

Almost every dismounted unit in TacOps has a disposable anti-armor weapon that can defeat tanks from the side or rear. This is far more anti-armor capability for dismounted infantry than existed in WWII.

- - - -

If all you want is "a feel" of WWII you might try ...

Get rid of all ATGMs.

Change all US APCs and IFVs into the M113 APC or into the M548 Load Carrier.

Change all OPFOR APCs and IFVs into the MTLB.

Change U.S. tanks into the M60A1 or into the XM8 AGS Tank with Level One armor. Change OPFOR tanks into the T55 1974. Or change all tanks into self-propelled artillery.

Engage the preferences for "Smoke grenades block thermal sights" and "Artillery smoke blocks thermal sights"

Use only HE and smoke ammo for artillery units.

Mentally cut the distances displayed and reported by TacOps in half. If the game says 2000 meters, consider that to represent 1000 meters.