O/T - Looking for a town in France

I remember reading about a town in westen France that was the sight of a WWII massacre. As the Germans were withdrawing, they murdered every single resident of the town.

The town itself has been left exactly as it was discovered by the allies. Not a thing has been changed, and (if I remember correctly) people can visit the town and explore on their own.

I ask this because I will be in France this summer, and I think it would be interesting to see what a 1944 French villiage looks like.

Unfortunately, I can not remember the name of this town. Does anyone know about this? Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>You're probably thinking about Oradour-sur-Glane<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, not necessarily... The massacre at ORADOUR-sur-GLANE took place on 10th June 1944, but bigggie might also be talking about the massacre at Maillé, on 25th August 1944. This one tend to be forgotten as on the same day Paris was liberated. I get some info about Maillé, so if you could remember which one you're looking for Biggie, please advise.

For now you can visit these pages ( in french ! ) :

* About Maillé, http://perso.club-internet.fr/acroy/

* About Oradour-sur-Glane, http://perso.wanadoo.fr/bernard.baudy/

Regards,

Magnus

I think it's effectively Oradour-sur-Glane near Limoge. I have visited this ghost village in 1996 and it was very impressive. you can see old cars, old telegraphic posts, tools, toys in the rubbles...I think it's important to take time to visit such a place.

This massacre was performed by some elements of a ss division("Das Reich, or "Grossdeutschland" I don't remember...).It was a punitive expedition after some actions of the Résistance against this division in the area.Few days before this massacre, the french "maquisards" had killed a german officer in an ambush. This officer was a veteran hero of the russian front and was very popular among his men...(in H. Amouroux, "Histoire des français sous l'occupation")

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bigggie:

I remember reading about a town in westen France that was the sight of a WWII massacre. As the Germans were withdrawing, they murdered every single resident of the town.

The town itself has been left exactly as it was discovered by the allies. Not a thing has been changed, and (if I remember correctly) people can visit the town and explore on their own.

I ask this because I will be in France this summer, and I think it would be interesting to see what a 1944 French villiage looks like.

Unfortunately, I can not remember the name of this town. Does anyone know about this? Thanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want to see typical old villages (39-45)+ WWII stuffs other than the one from France and drink good beers ( and not afraid by geting a big belly due to beers and meat smile.gif have a trip to Belgium's Ardenne(Battle of the Bulge). There's a bunch of very good WWII museum such in La Gleize ( last resort of Peipers's kampfgruppe before they withdrew), Mardasson museum in Bastogne, Tigers II in la Gleize, HT in Stavelot,... I can provide/advise you with maps, adresses, beer to taste, meat to eat,...In france you also have the great tank museum of Saumure.

Stephan

Oops, yes I meant "It was a HEER and not an SS division".

Wehrmacht = Armed Forces.

Heer= Land-based Armed Forces.

So really the Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, heer and SS were all branches of the Wehrmacht and people who use the term Wehrmacht to describe the Heer are entymologically incorrect but its only a minor point really.