Resolution Question for Steve

I've got a PowerBook G3/250 Rev 1 Wallstreet. The resolution is a fixed 1024x768 and the RageLt (not the pro) video chip has a hard time with the beta demo. In the finished code, can I step down the resolution, or does it automatically choose the screen resolution by default (like the beta)? Games that run 640x480 on the LCD just run in a smaller window. I hope to do the same with CM to get better frame rates.

Thanks in advance,

Cueball

Guest KwazyDog

Cueball, I think you got missed in all of the recent threads smile.gif I cant say for sure as I am not running on a mac, but I am pretty certain that you will indeed be able to choose the resolutions that suits your needs in the final version. In 640x480 framerate should be much better wink.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Whoops... yes, I missed this one smile.gif

You should be able to choose your resolution and then launch CM. The result will be to use the current resolution instead of changing it. But I have to say that we haven't tried this on a G3 laptop before, so if you find that the Gold Demo doesn't work out for you email me directly and we will get cracking on some sort of fix for it right away. At this stage we aren't touching code at all so it is too late to mess with it now.

Steve

Thanks for the reply.

The issue with the rev 1 Wallstreet is that you *can't* change the resolution. It's stuck at 1024x768. It's the only option in the control panel. When I run Starcraft, it just runs in a 640x480 portion of the screen.

The rev 2 Wallstreet has the Rage Pro instead of the RageLt, and that does allow you to change the resolution. However, the rev 1 Wallstreet is fixed.

I tried SwitchRes (a great piece of software BTW), and that gives me an option to fool the system and run 800x600, but the demo won't even load when I do that.

I'll wait until the Gold demo comes out and get back to you. I have a B&W G3/350, and that runs the demo just dandy. I was just hoping to take CM on the road :)

Cueball

Steve-

I have mentioned before in a new thread - There IS a driver issue with CM and the ATI-Mobile-P video cards... the issue is with the cursor, it appears as though the cursor refreshes before the background so it is visible with you move it around a lot, but when you stop it goes away. I have tried 3 different sets of drivers and tried turning off hardware cursor, all of these to none avail...

I would definately appreciate a response.... I'm praying things work ok in the final version

-EridanMan

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the Gold Demo is out, and it's still an issue.

Is it possible to tell CM that I want it to run in 640x480 with RAVE? I can't set the resolution, as the Rev 1 Wallstreet is fixed at 1024x768. I would be happy to have it run in a smaller window, much like other software (Starcraft for example) does to get the frame rate up. Currently, changing views is painfully slow.

If you have any ideas or thoughts on the matter, let me know. Don't make a big deal of it, because it runs just fine on my B&W G3/350