Ideas on blue force map cheats

MCab

I'm aware that when Opfor is on the offensive, blue force can usually make it unsporting by moving into contact with the map edge that opfor's coming into. I have an idea. How about when making maps another copy is made, except with a horizontal line of misc. LOS blocks about 1km from whatever edge of the map Opfor is to enter?

What do you all think?

Peace,

Mark

My idea to solve the problem is just making the maps bigger.

This way all units would start out on the map.

They couldn't be ambushed a few at a time as they entered the map. Plus their air defense would come into play more realistically.

I think that would make things more realistic.

Plus units wouldn't just appear on the map's edge, waiting for orders. As things are now, my units seem to bunch up after appearing on the map, making them even more vulnerable. This also makes it really annoying to issue orders.

The Misc LOS block is an interesting idea, but it leads to other problems, such as both sides using the LOS bloack to cover maneuver around the line (Red cannot See Blue across the line either, so Blue maneuvers closer tothe line for better shots?)

Even giant maps (see some of the NTC maps) eventually run into the End-Of-The-World problem. (Though bigger maps do help.)

The best solution is to agree on a set of rules with your opponent that do in the gamey tactics. For example, when I'm playing TF Gallagher, there's usually a rule that forbids Blue from moving more than recon forces east of the delpoyment area, and forbidding indirect fires and arty east of easting 13 or 13.5 - all of which means Red has time to deploy, though Blue can still run a decent counter-recon battle.

• 7 months later...

I think that that is a really good idea because when you engage a OPFOR unit that is just appearing on the unit rather than allowing the unit to set itself up properly, you lose a great deal of the educational value of the game. My firm opinion is that the "ignore set-up limits" option should not be used to cheat on incoming OPFOR like this. Just place you BLUFOR pieces in the rough somewhere maybe 100-150 meters back from the edge and treat yourself to a real learning experience! smile.gif

Rich

This also makes it really annoying to issue orders.
Choosing "Hide Units with Orders" from the Map (?) menu helps somewhat. Nevertheless, having everyone piled up in one place does make it more difficult to keep track of what's there -- especially for a large stack when those with orders have been hidden.