(O/T) German Translation Help (O/T)

My wife does closed captioning for the hearing impaired, and she just started a run of old Hogan's Heroes episodes.

She is having problems with the word that sounds like "YAVOLT" or "JA VOLE", as in "YAVOLT Herr Commandant!", which is frequently exclaimed by Schmidt the prison camp guard.

We are having trouble finding the correct spelling in our English-German dictionary.

Does anybody here know the correct German spelling of this word?

I figured some of you guys might know.

Danke Shen

My high school & college german is a little rusty, and I know there are a number of native german speakers on the forum, but I beleive it is "Ja wohl." Meaning, essentially an emphatic yes, or certainly.

Can someone (Moon, Germanboy, somebody) confirm/correct?

--Philistine

Basically all I know of German is that the negative word goes at the end of the scentence...or so i was told by a guy who spoke German....

------------------

The worst part of any conflict is peacekeeping, it is the time when only one side may fire.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Philistine:

My high school & college german is a little rusty, and I know there are a number of native german speakers on the forum, but I beleive it is "Ja wohl." Meaning, essentially an emphatic yes, or certainly.

Can someone (Moon, Germanboy, somebody) confirm/correct?

--Philistine<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Babra is correct, it is one word 'Jawohl', and it is usually used to confirm that one has understood an order from above. It is an emphatic yes, but I would say used only by someone receiving an order. It has become a by-word for stupid movie Nazi Germans, because it succinctly shows that the German army was made up of mindless robotons (insert sarcasm here).

------------------

Andreas