Problem with tank behavior vs pillbox

Guest KarlXII

Guest KarlXII

I'm having a bit of a problem with my Shermans. I've flanked a village with a pillbox in it. The firing arc of the pillbox is towards the front of the village. My infantry and tanks are now rolling in from the side. Still the Shermans pop smoke and back away when in LOS of the pillbox. I am certain that there are no other enemy AT assets nearby and that the pillbox is unable to fire at them.

This is in a v1.03 PBEM game so maybe it's fixed by now but I can't remember reading anything about it.

Is this a bug then? I'll be happy to recieve any thoughts on the subject.

------------------

Fire for effect!

The same thing happens to me in 1.05. I prefer to outflank these things and take pot-shots at the door instead of hunting over a ridge with 105s and hoping for the best.

Sometimes, when approaching from the side, the tank tries to smoke out the firing slit and sometimes it tries to back away out of sight. I've had a tank back up into the firing line before.

Usually I just button up and fast move to discourage this line of thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KarlXII:

I'm having a bit of a problem with my Shermans. I've flanked a village with a pillbox in it. The firing arc of the pillbox is towards the front of the village. My infantry and tanks are now rolling in from the side. Still the Shermans pop smoke and back away when in LOS of the pillbox. I am certain that there are no other enemy AT assets nearby and that the pillbox is unable to fire at them.

This is in a v1.03 PBEM game so maybe it's fixed by now but I can't remember reading anything about it.

Is this a bug then? I'll be happy to recieve any thoughts on the subject.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've by-passed pillboxes and had my tanks firing 180 degrees to the rear smoke at them. Irritating when there is enemy to the front.

• 3 months later...

I've had the same problem with firing smoke from behind.It seems that unless you're within a certain arc concerning the rear door that your tanks will act as if they're in front of the pillbox(with no chance to kill it they fire smoke).

My problem is that I've had a Sherman (on 3 occasions) sitting directly behind a pillbox (10m) and not able to destroy it until they've gotten 2 or 3 rear door penetrations and 2 shots into the concrete.

Conversely, my pillboxes get knocked out from the front, almost immediately, from the other side of the map.

So I've started turning my pillboxes around and having my men fire through the slot in the door.It works marvelously. smile.gif