Museums in England

At the end of September, I'll be moving to London to get a graduate degree. Other than the Imperial War Museum, can anyone recommend any history museums (military or not) in England?

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

British Museum is a must, even if it's not exactly military. The Armoury of the Tower of London has, IIRC, been moved to York. Worth a visit, as appartently the space is spectacular. There are many, many others. If you can get up to Orkney, take a cruise around Scapa Flow, still full of wrecks from both world wars. Try to get down to Hastings to view the most important battlefield in English/British history.

England is a great place to live, for a while at least. Hope you have lots of money though: London is expensive.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>William Burroughs asked by British passport control why he was entering the country:

For the weather...and the food

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

RAF museum Hendon (London), Fleet Air Arm museum Yeovilton (Somerset), Museum of London (in the Barbican, London)

------------------

The conception of such a plan was impossible for a man of Montgomery's innate caution...In fact, Montgomery's decision to mount the operation ...[Market Garden] was as startling as it would have been for an elderly and saintly Bishop suddenly to decide to take up safe breaking and begin on the Bank of England. (R.W.Thompson, Montgomery the Field Marshall)

The Imperial War Museum at Duxford (an old B17 base)near Cambridge is well worth a visit

http://www.iwm.org.uk/duxford.htm

It has a large collection of Aircraft as well as a "Land Hall" containing some Tanks, I had never seen a JS2 or T34 up close and was suprized at how small they actually are.

Also worth seeing is the new Amerian Air Force Hall which they describe as "the finest collection of historic American combat aircraft outside the United States"

National Army Museum, Royal Hospital Road, South West London. Look out for their special 'theme' days - so far English Civil War, Waterloo and the WW2 Tommy. On these days you get to handle actual weapons (de-activated) and armour. On the WW2 day there were Stens, a Bren, Vickers MMG, Lee-Enfield rifle, MP40 and an MG42 smile.gif

Oh and its free...Nice book shop too.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

At the end of September, I'll be moving to London to get a graduate degree.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chumbawambachickenandsquaw - I am moving to London at the end of September. Don't get illusions of grandeur. We'll have a hotseat game on my iBook and I shall beat you to a pulp.

------------------

Andreas