Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Defining Victory

I was playing the 28 turn scenario, a walk in paris as the allies (NO SPOILERS) I made some good guesses and had some luck, so by turn 20 I had taken all of the victory flags. The Germans had a morale of 8% and victory of 14%. I had 90% of my troops and tanks left, so the situation was well in hand. I searched and found an armored wagon and some crew members which I elimanated on the next two turns, the morale dropped to 7%, I then spent the next six turns capturing or elimanating some stray crews and routed squads, at the end of the scenario the German morale was still at 7% and victory at 14%. How do they calculate victory and morale? The computer said I had total victory. Is it possible to have 95% or 100%? What determines surrender conditions? Given the pitiful remains of the German forces, I would have surrendered long before the end. Just curious to see if anyone else has had this experience.

Never having played with less than full Fog Of War, I can only surmise that when FOW is turned off you are allowed to see the enemy morale level to be able to claim their morale was at 8%. Also note that, at least under FOW, the victory levels displayed may not be accurate since the enemy may have forces that you can't see controlling flags without your knowledge.

I don't remember for sure, but I think for the computer to force an automatic surrender the losing side's morale must be < 25% that of the winner. (In the case you describe, I would expect that if your morale was over 32% the Germans should have surrendered.) There might be another condition on this as well, though.

However, it is possible (nay, likely) that the AI was ready for a cease-fire. You can (secretly) request a cease-fire using one of the hotkeys (I don't remember which one offhand). If both sides have requested a cease-fire, the scenario ends. Note that you are NOT informed that your opponent has asked for a cease-fire; also, you can rescind the request by issuing the command again and answering "no" to the confirmation dialog.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

The manual says if one sides rating is 15% or less and the other side has at least four times as high there will be an automatic surrender unless the other side has reinforcements coming. In the scenario I described the ai morale was at 7% and mine was at 89% and they did not receive reinforcements, so I am at a loss to explain why they didn't bail out under what was a hopeless situation.

In order to get a 100% victory you would have to kill or capture EVERY enemy, occupy all victory locations, and suffer no casualties yourself.

I dunno about how the ingame victory % is calculated, but I'm pretty sure the % morale is based solely on your combat-effective forces present.

DjB