ARGH! Guy in games.war-historical asking about warez

Rudee brings up something I was thinking about while reading this thread. Of the people who obtain CM illegally, how many would really have purchased the game if they couldn't get it illegally? At this point in the CM saga, I would guess not many. However, it is a truly remarkable game. Should it catch on with general strategy game enthusiasts it could hurt I think. If I was Charles I would probably spend a modest amount of time each day tracking illegal sources for my game. It probably wouldn't help much, but I'd do it anyway. Maybe we need tougher laws, I don't know. It is upsetting to see this happen to them after years of dedicated work, but I guess it was inevitable.

------------------

Smoker out.

Guest MantaRay

I agree, there is almost nothing BTS can do about this problem. As one of the posters said before, he can get this for $1 in China, and right accross the street from a legit software store.

Warez pirates are a bit different from you and me, they don't do it cause they are after massive amounts of money, they do it because they think it gives them some kind of skill that few people have. Well, I can figure out how to punch in a serch engine and come back with a thousand sites telling you how to crack software, or hack into other peoples computers.

And I do think that most if not almost all who have downloaded it, would not buy CM anyway. I mean, I have lots of MP3's on my computer and I know I would never buy the music( I have 2 music CD's) but does it make me a pirate???? Well, yes it does.

And how many of you out there have WINZIP on your hard drive? Did you pay the fee for going over the license period?

And a few of you are going to pirate CM too. What if you get a new computer, and you install it on that one? Well, you are a pirate too.

But my point is that we need to realize that WE can only control what is in our direct line of sight. Like the guy who has 3 friends who have it illegally, tell them why they need to buy it. I will not let anyone have my copy, nor will I play with someone who I know has it off warez.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

MantaRays 5 Pages

Hardcore Gamers Daily

I mentioned this in another thread, but it bears repeating here. John Carmack claims that nobody has beaten the encrypted key protection on Quake3 (you enter the key once during installation, so there is little burden on the user). As I understand it, the protection only is checked by Activision's servers when you start an on-line game, so there may be warez of Q3A that let you play solo. My point is that you can protect a game, but it may require a great deal of resources (such as dedicated key-checking servers).

Manta, you need a new example. Winzip is now adware, so it doesn't matter if you register it.

Supertanker

A lot of software stores such as Electronics Boutique allow returns on opened software, so obtaining a legit cd-key wouldn't be that difficult if someone needed one bad enough.

So much for that idea...