Positioning Problems with Panzertruppen's Buildings Mod

Panzertruppen created a masterpiece with his buildings mod. They are beautiful. But, I've noted (I suppose because of the size of the bmp's or something, but that is why the post), that I have problems now positioning units within buildings. At high resolution, I can stick them in the building okay, but when I go to adjust them, particularly when I zoom in for a closer view, the position bar bounces around all over the place.

Anyone else getting this? Anyone find a way around it?

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bruno Weiss:

Anyone else getting this? Anyone find a way around it?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have found the best way to fine tune a position in a building (or anywhere else for that matter) is to get a "purt near" position in view 2-3-4 (whichever) and then fine tune the position in view 5. I get exactly the kind of "switching" you describe, and this works for me. (I never ahd any idea it had to do with the resolution of the graphics!?)

Sometimes if you have the flags on this will happen when the building is close to the flag. Just turn off the flags. I also use the camera position 5 to adjust placement.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Actually, that is what I did "before" Panzertruppen's mod. I guess I didn't describe it very well. When I zoom in now to do exactly what you guys suggest, which is what I always did also, that is when the bar goes crazy now?

------------------

I believe this is directly related to video memory and processor speed. I had this problem until I upgraded my TNT2 Diamond Viper (32MB) to a GeForce2 GTS (64MB). Now I can adjust the position of my units in buildings to within a centimeter of where I want with no herky-jerky motion.

You must remember that each hi-res mod you install over a low-res requires just that much more video processor power and memory. At some point you must push your system to the brink.

[This message has been edited by Tris (edited 12-09-2000).]

I suppose that's it. I have most all of the hi-res mods, and a Voodoo 5 turned all the way up. 4xFSAA, 3 buffers, mipmap dithering and a .50 LOD detail bias. Looks like I found it's limits. I had this same problem though with the flags in the original texture loads before I loaded up all the mods. Still do. I just turn off the flags. It only happens when I do an LOS through a flag.

Panzertruppens stuff is so realistic looking, stunning actually, but has really big textures to get there. And I hate to turn down anything on the card on account of how realistic it looks now. Strange though, nothing else is slow (unless a barrage of smoke comes in, then it's just a wee bit slow), but other than that everything runs just fine. Which was why I was questioning it.

------------------

You can easily test this by turning your FSAA down to 2X and then completely off (if that's possible with the Voodoo--it ought to be). Also, try the game at lower screen resolutions. At one configuration or another you'll see the herky-jerky motion disappear. That's your threshold.

Can you say nVIDIA?

P.S. Just kidding. smile.gif

Yeah, I know. But I like the eye candy... WAH, WAH-WAH.

Ah, don't go and start another Nvidia vs Voodoo thread. It's like arguing over blondes versus brunettes. Depends upon the beholder and which end of the card your looking at. tongue.gif

NVIDIA, spitooey. Tried one already, tossed it in the closet. Love the voodoo. I've yet to see a screen shot by anyone with anything that looks like what I have. It still blows me away everytime I open up a game. These guys doing the mods have really made CM an entirely new game and so much more realistic. Now, if we can just get Kitty to stop playing wiff dem hampsta's...

wink.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 12-10-2000).]