Am I seeing things? Mortar Round

During playback, I could swear I saw the actually mortar round incoming on my halftrack. About 10' above.

I tried to rewind again, but did not see it again.

Has anyone ever actually seen a mortar / artillery round incoming through the air?

Perhaps I've been engaged in the fight too long and am suffering battle fatigue.

Anyway, kudos to BigAlMoho who just took out that HT. The fight goes on. frown.gif

[This message has been edited by bfamily33 (edited 12-03-2000).]

Actually Bfam, the 475 is plenty of CPU, it's the cheap vid card that's dragging the game down.

If you can find a TNT2 with 32 meg for cheap(or something similar from last year's "hot" cards) you will be *ASTONISHED* at the difference it will make.

I'm running on an Athlon 500 and game looks and runs super with a 32 meg TNT2 card. Full transparency effects, full high-res everything, and no pauses or problems.

-Old Dog

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Dog:

Actually Bfam, the 475 is plenty of CPU, it's the cheap vid card that's dragging the game down.

If you can find a TNT2 with 32 meg for cheap(or something similar from last year's "hot" cards) you will be *ASTONISHED* at the difference it will make.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed in spades. I have a "lowly" Celery 466... But I have 256 megs ram and a GeForce DDR vid and I watch arty come in with sickening regularity. Running all the top high res mods (speaking of which, anyone else like to see a gridded version of the new velvety grass in the Full Foliage Mod Pack? Looks kind of weird with the bright gidded grass... but I do love the grid so, I don't want to lose it) and things are silky smooth.

Guest Mike the bike

Another way to see them clearly is to fight in mist or snow.

I like to play unequal games - eg American infantry defending against German Armour in a rural setting with random morale & weather!!

I get lots of mist and snow!! smile.gif

I love sitting at ground level during an artillery barage.Listening to long rounds passing over,watching the screen shake-it's very immersive.You can almost hear the infantry saying their prayers.

The first time the enemy called in a smoke barrage on a hill I held had me impressed too.

The little details definitely make an already great game better.

The thing that I always look for (and never see) is the indirect rounds on the way *up* from the source. When someone is hitting you with little (or big) on map mortars the FOW seems to work properly: the player who controls the source can see the outgoing shells, but the player on the receiving end can't unless the source has been spotted.

------------------

Slayer of the Original Cesspool Thread.