Stupid Pistol Teams

Would someone please explain to me how to use a 2-inch mortar. I've tried using them in all the ways I can think of and in every case I feel they would be more effective if they ditched their mortar and pulled out their pistols.

Another thing, german halftracks, does anyone else feel that these things are .50 cal bait too? In fact all german vehicles are .50 cal bait. I hate to buy vehicles as the germans now, especially german armored cars. To me german armored cars are really expensive pistol teams (a.k.a crew).

Oh yeah, while I'm at it... I hate the Vickers MG. That thing is just a rapid fire BB gun. I had two vickers MGs fire away at a Kubelwagen at close range and it took them 3 turns to get the driver to park the damn thing and stroll out to get a bite to eat in a nearby building. I was afraid that the Kubelwagen crew was gonna walk up to my two Vickers and kill them. God knows the two Vickers MGs wouldn't be able to do a damn thing to stop him.

One more thing, QBs are really hard to win when you force restrict yourself to the Volksturm.

Someone needs a hug...

------------------

"The whole of Scotland will rejoice if the commanding officer of the Canadian Army could see fit that the taking of Saint-Valery is accomplished by the Highland Division. I am sure that the 2nd Canadian Division will attend to Dieppe satisfactorily."

-- General Sir Bernard Law Montgomery, Aug. 20, 1944

A hug? A hug???

My 2-inch mortars are better off as pistol commandos and I need a hug?

My german vehicles are nothing more than really really expensive pistol teams and I need a hug?

Dennis the Menace can lay down more firepower with his slingshot than my Vickers MG can in a 60 second period and I need a hug?

German HTs: You might not be using them to the best of their advantage... lay back. They don't have the armor to withstand .50 fire and the crews know it. You should, too.

Vickers MG: Surprised to hear this. MGs are for suppression, infantry's for killin', and this usually seems to work. They don't seem to spend a lot of time jammed.

2" mortars: Yes, you need a hug. Try focusing about 6 of them on a soft enemy you pariicularly dislike. They are also for suppression, or at least moral support. I guess they had a lot of them at the time. At least they can Run.

I have just been doing some armor QB's (American v. German) and thos @#$@! German Halftracks have been wreaking havoc on me.

In fact, I played one Game where my guys id'd the halftrack as a halftrack, but it took out so much of my armor (read "almost all of it") that I thought it had to be a tank.

Well, I had one US halftrack left and this German haltrack with a 75mm gun mounted on it (didn't know they existed) came up to finish me off. I thought I was done for until the MG on my half track (to my pleasant surprise) took out the German track.

I thought this was odd until I read that it's actually historically accurate smile.gif.

Guest Andrew Hedges

Sometimes it's better, especially if you have no other artillery, to group the 2" mortars together. That is, if you have a Brit company with 3 platoons, each having one 2" mortar, you might want to put all three mortars with, say, the center platoon (and if you have a leader with a "star," put him with the center platoon, too, and have him spot. This will allow you to bring down a lot of firepower if you need too, or you can just plink away for a long time. Ideally, though, you catch a platoon of Germans moving in woods or a wheatfield and hit them with all three mortars until you run out of ammo and they take severe casualties. Then you move in with your other two platoons and mop up.

Remember, though, that these aren't super artillery pieces -- if there is a distant HMG in a heavy bldg that is giving you trouble, you probably can't blast it out with the mortars, so you should probably just use your smoke on it.

Guest Big Time Software

Sounds like Tank Man has learned some hard lessons smile.gif

1. Half tracks are quite lightly armored, so bad tactics will get them killed very quickly. They can withstand small arms fire at a decent range, but that is all. Anything larger than a .30 cal round is likely, sooner or later, to score a kill if the HT gets too close. Improper use of HTs is one of the most common things we have seen since the Beta Demo was released.

2. British 2" mortars are fairly weak. They were designed for suppression, not for killing. And some might argue that they really weren't all that good at even keeping the enemy's heads down smile.gif The US 60mm mortar, which is slightly larger IIRC, comes under similar criticism. Not only from gamers, but from the real grunts that were involved with them in WWII combat. Some swore at them, others by them. Depends on what you expect them to do.

3. Vickers aren't the best MG in the game, that is for sure. I have no clue what happened with the Kübel, but they should have handled it well. Without having seen the exact situation you saw I can't offer any explanation.

Steve

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Sounds like Tank Man has learned some hard lessons

2. British 2" mortars are fairly weak. They were designed for suppression, not for killing. And some might argue that they really weren't all that good at even keeping the enemy's heads down

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to Alex Bowlby 'The recollections of rifleman Bowlby', his squad prefered to use the PIAT as a mortar, since the mortar was useless. The 3" mortar though - yum!

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-17-2000).]