ot: Infogrames buys Hasbro

read this today on www.gamers.com, think it might be of some interest. Does this mean they will be responsible for ASL and former AH games as well?

"An inside source at Infogrames reports that in a company meeting held today, employees were told that the company has bought Hasbro Interactive. Rumors of the deal have been circulating for some time, but the PR department at Infogrames had denied the story.

Infogrames will purchase 100% of the common stock of Hasbro Interactive and Games.com (which just launched on December 5) for $100 million. It also gets the right to develop and publish games based on all Hasbro properties, like Monopoly and Dungeons and Dragons.

Hasbro will receive an annual sum from Infogrames based on sales generated from the licensing agreement. Shareholders and regulatory committees still need to sign off on the deal, but the companies expect it to close early in the first quarter of 2001."

Epee

As i am a games industry analyst *shows shiny badge* perhaps I should chip in with my thoughts.

It's a good move for them since it secures some pretty profitable licenses! First off, you have Wizards of the Coast and they own TSR. Result is all of the D&D type stuff is theirs and it's a hugely recognised brand. Also, WotC have the Pokemon card thing tied up nicely and make, I imagine, great money.

Hasbro has a good portal with games.com ..or great opportunity to develop and hasbro have their fingers in a lot of game pies.

Also it fits with my general forecasts that publishers are looking to get closer to developers and acquire them due to the changing nature of the industry. When you have an online game that takes ages to make and requires expensive and constant support you don't want developers just to run around free. You want them tightly controlled so you won't loose money on your investment in their server architecture and all that junk

anyway.

interesting stuff eh!

PeterNZ

------------------

"I can be quite pleasant, you know" - Andreas

"WHERE'S THE MOAT?!" - Jon