I want to see dead men

One more time...

CM does provide the information on squad status without having to click on each squad.

Look at the live guys!!

If you set it to three men per squad then

3 guys: greater than 2/3 of squad is ok

2 guys: less than 2/3, but more than 1/3 ok

1 guy: 1/3 or less ok.

And if you complain that you can't tell the 1 guy left from an MG or a leader, increase the unit size (shift-C). Chances are you'd have to do that to see the dead guys piled up if they were there. You can also tell a lot about morale states by watching the movie-- squads do cower, then get up, then cower, etc. If all you had was a bunch of bodies it still wouldn't tell you as much about the state of any squad as CM does now.

Scipio: this is also how you can tell your opponent's squad status. It does work, even when you don't have the level of info that tells you exactly how many ok/incapacitated in the display window. You can watch the squads get smaller as they get hit.

And if you turn on target lines/movement paths (4 different available states via shift-P) you can tell who's on the receiving end of massed fire.

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 10-02-2000).]

Boys, I guess you all missunderstood me. I want to see the casualities that my fire causes, represented by dead bodies. But I want to see them only in the action sequenze, and maybe in the following order phase! So I can say - yo, that squad has taken ## casualities, time to assault that position. One turn later they should be disapeared (except the hole squad is eleminated). I HAVE NO INTEREST IN A BATTLEFIELD FILLED UP WITH PICTURES OF CORPSE - because that would have really no influence on my tactics.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

Boys, I guess you all missunderstood me. I want to see the casualities that my fire causes,... So I can say - yo, that squad has taken ## casualities, time to assault that position. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See above-- the information is there, except what you see is the remaining live guys (which is what should concern you) instead of the bodies (who are out of action). If you see a squad that starts the action phase as 3 guys and ends as one guy, then you know it's suffering. You can't know exactly how many casualties you've inflicted until you're up close, usually, but you can see how many guys are still shooting back.

Guest Rollstoy

What would bodies mean for Fog-of-War?

I would mean that for EACH "body" you create you had to perform the whole line-of-sight calculation sequence that you ordinarily only needed to do for the unit. In some cases that would mean the 12-fold computational effort. Otherwise you would have dead bodies appear out of nowhere, especially during arty barrages.

The same argument goes against thread marks, by the way. There, the (computational) situation is even worse.

Hope that helps,

Thomm

Guest Germanboy

...while in actual fact we are a bunch of misogynistic (towards Mormon wives only), atavistic, stone-age Canuckhaters (except for one Canuckhugger, but we won't go into that.)

------------------

Andreas

Scipio wrote:

> I want to see the casualities that my fire causes, represented by dead bodies. But I want to see them only in the action sequenze, and maybe in the following order phase! So I can say - yo, that squad has taken ## casualities, time to assault that position.

This is not something you would know, whether every casualty were represented or not. Just because you know the location of an enemy squad, does not mean you know how many men is in it, let alone how many casualties it just took.

If you want this information, click on the enemy squad. It will either tell you the number of men and casualties, or the relevant boxes will be blank, indicating that this information isn't available to you.

Even if you saw each 'hit' the enemy took, it's highly unlikely that the information you desire would be clear enough. You would basically get a pile of bodies underneath the enemy squad, and you would have to zoom in and examine this pile of bodies to work out what it represents (are there two bodies on top of each other? Are they from different squads?) – when it would be far easier to simply click on the squad and read its casualty figures.

Lastly, while you don't see bodies, you do actually see hits. If a squad takes a casualty, and your men are aware of this, then you will see the squad 'flinch'. If you don't see a flinch, either the squad hasn't taken casualties, or it has but you don't know it.

David

------------------

...the pilot was able to circle and make a safe belly landing. According to O'Neal, 'this guy jumped out and ran up to me, shouting, "Give me a gun, quick! I know right where that Kraut s.o.b. is and I'm gonna get him".'

I think that the dead bodies during the battle may add to much information to the players and proccessing to the computer. But i would not mind to have the computer mark the locations for the dead and in the aftermath Map view have them displayed. This way you could truly judge what locations on the map where dangerous, where did that SMG team lose all its man, and such. But only in the after action Map view. This would also allow some great screenshots to be taken. Without giving vital information or slowing the computer down during the actual play.

I think that the info currently available is more than enough.

If there were to be a graphic representation of all dead guys, then there ought to be a graphic representation of all wounded, medics, stretcher bearers, ambulances, ...

My graphics card suffer enough already, not to mention the CPU frown.gifwink.gif

Cheers

Olle

"But I want to see them only in the action sequenze, and maybe in the following order phase! So I can say - yo, that squad has taken ## casualities, time to assault that position."

That is information you would often not have in a real fight. Usually you can't tell how many if any at all casualties you are producing. And you initiate your final assualt based on the suppression you have inflicted upon your target.

Los