More Wish Lists - a compass... and more

I have been doing a lot of level 1 play. It is great fun but is difficult at times. A real handy aid (that shouldn't be too hard to program) would be a magnetic compass display. The current compass rose on the map is usually not viewable.

Another handy playing aid would be to have a text box for each unit where one could attach text. This could be used to attach notes such as orders, units historical designation, notes for AAR's, or whatever.

A command that does a both a "+" and a "Tab" at the same time would be nice.

A "paper map" display with annotation capability would be really neat. The paper map could be as simple as highest overhead view devoid of any units except for the freindly starting positions of each HQ drawn in standard military notation (i.e. ala cardboard counters in most war board games). The annotation ability could be simplay a pencil like drawing tool and a text insetion tool. This would allow for the player to map out a battle plan on the map. This would be of great help in level 1 play and would allow a player to see the whole battle area without giving him a unrealisticlly high situational awareness.

------------------

March To The Sound Of The Guns

It would be neat to take that a step further and really get a paper map. That is, a print function that would put the map in a nice format on a piece of paper. That way I could scheme and plan away from the computer, or use as reference during level 1 play.

• 2 months later...

Bump!

Well, search is good.

MM and TT have some really good suggestions here, but neither Charles of Steve replied.

Guys, I know you're busy, but pls enlighten us if you're looking at thes suggestions.

Especially the print map one would be great. Somefink like the map you get in the editor, with elevations would be even better.

Thanks

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

A workaround for the paper map:

Take a screenshot from the level 7 or 8 position. The idea is to get the map filling up as much of the screen as possible. Zoom might help too. If you want as blank a map as possible, turn off bases and put your men on realistic size. Now open a picture editor like Paint Shop Pro and cut just the map out of your screenshot. Now turn that into a grayscale image. You may have to adjust the contrast, drain some of the grays, etc etc to get it to look right. Now change the size of the image to fit on an 8 1/2 by 11 inch piece of paper and print it. It won't be perfect but it's a workaround. Hope this helps!

DeanCo--