Digging In

One feature that I would like to see in a future release is the ability for units to dig in when necessary.

Another feature that would be interesting would be supply airdrops where some of the scenarios are over a long period of time. Particutlary for the Allied side. These airdrops could be captured or lost or even could provide an advantage to whoever receives them.

Any thoughts or comments.

I'm not sure the time scale of the game would allow for effective digging in. Improving position is handled somewhat by the "hide" order.

I also doubt supply drops would be feasible given the limited amount of time. Maybe there could be some sort of resupply option between battles of a campaign or operation and I would bet that has already been attended to by Charles and Steve.

------------------

When the situation is obscure....attack!

CGen. Heinz Guderian

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clarkie:

One feature that I would like to see in a future release is the ability for units to dig in when necessary.

Another feature that would be interesting would be supply airdrops where some of the scenarios are over a long period of time. Particutlary for the Allied side. These airdrops could be captured or lost or even could provide an advantage to whoever receives them.

Any thoughts or comments.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The longest scenarios I have seen so far are 60 turns (on Moon's website). I don't think that allows for air drops of supplies. In operations, I would assume it to be abstracted.

Digging in, that would depend on the ground I think. In a typical scenario you might be able to dig a hole in the ground in a field, not that it would do you much good, but if you ever tried to do that in a forest, you know you are in trouble. Again, depending on the time between fights, in a scenario I think troops can dig in after a fight, before the next one starts. IIRC.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

I have a feeling that ammo resupply in a longer scenario would be a good thing to have. I can see where a in 30 minute job it would be difficult to justify. But it does not take a whole lot for some fellows to run back and haul up some bandoliers and a few granades at least on defense. A little tougher on offence. In a longer scenario a jeep load of goodies would sure enable the attacker to consoidate his winnings. I suppose that could be broken up into two stages via an operation. Probably a coding nightmare or at least time consuming and perhaps inappropriate at this stage. A dug in bunch expecting trouble would certainly have more than their carry around allotment if at all possible. I would like to see it go in. It would add another interesting element. If the front was too hot, then obviously a resupply effort would go wanting for folks willing to expose their electronic asses to a very likely demise. On the other hand though,----- another opportunity for a hero.

In operations resupply is in. How much you get depends on what the operation designer decides. Same as with digging in. The ability to fortify positions or dig in is an option in the design of a scenario. Of course Digging in is still only allowed during the set-up, not during a battle. As digging a decent foxhole takes a while. Better to locate reverse slopes and shell holes for cover once the battle starts.

One tactic that I thought was a great idea (I never thought of it) was this: When playing Fionn in VoT, My men finally made it into town (I was allies) and what did I see? It appears that he had his units dig foxholes between the buildings. So when moving from building to building or if the building was being overrun or shelled. He had the foxholes dug and waiting. If I'm wrong he can correct me. But I thought that was a damn good tactic.

Lorak

Lorak, this tactic can be enhanced by splitting sqads so that they generate 2x foxholes for one squad. This can be utilized in prepairing either an advanced set of holes or a fall back set.

In VoT I experenced one hell of an artillery barrage on an advance set of holes when the half squads that made them were spotted hot footing it back to their buddie's holes in deflade. It was so wonderful to see that stuff comming in on empty positions making additional holes and reducing stockpiles of ammo that had better work waiting for them. It went on and on for several minutes. The AI could not spot any further targets and seemed to have a terrible itch to fire.

In the resupply catigory I just have an equal itch for pushing a jeep, truck or half track up close to the defences and having half squads or what ever running back for those precious rounds and returning to the lines to make those laggard attackers pay for being too slow in either renewing their original attack or making their counter attack. This would certainly add one more item to the battlefield already rich in combat elements. A 2 hour maxi-battle is certainly long enough for this to work and perhaps too long a time to not have it.

Steve has pointed out that a short battle does not provide enough time to do this sort of thing even with AFVs, where not only do they have to return to an ammo point, but also have to pass the shells into the tank and pack them away properly in storage. But, in a longer scenario - - - - Hummmm. Sure would add an element to split the older more provident men from the younger fellows, (the men already having been split from the boys in the initial combat)