He can call fire into the middle of the wood, but it would be out of line of sight, so it would take longer for the artillery to start falling. Like 3 minutes or so, vs. around 1 minute if he had LOS. Of course, he could call artillery fire to an area at the edge of the woods that was in LOS and some of the rounds would probably fall in the middle of the woods, as they all don’t fall in the exact same place.

------------------

To conquer others is to have power,

To conquer yourself is to have strength.

-Lao Tzu

Don't know the rule exactly, but if the spotter doesn't have LOS, it takes longer for the shells to start dropping. I guess because the spotter doesn't have the exact coordinates to call it in. I THINK that this is talked about in the manual, but I don't have it on me so can't look it up.

------------------

To conquer others is to have power,

To conquer yourself is to have strength.

-Lao Tzu

Don't forget target area WIDE

if you have LOS to the woods edge and request target area wide, since you don't know where they are anyway then the arty will come quicker, (thanks to LOS) and fall wider and maybe deeper into the woods.

Maybe once its falling you can "walk" it back into the non LOS area and it will come quicker?

Just a few thoughts

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Remember that no dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the reason it takes a little longer is because the FO cannot see the spotting rounds land...Takes longer to adjust before FFE......Even if you can't get right on the target area, by marking close by, you can generally paste an area pretty good with the scatter, etc.....If out of LOS, however, you risk much greater scatter..

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet