US Armor crew weapons

Would it be possible to mod the crew for US armor to have a least 1 SMG when they abandon a vehicle. I know that tank crews carried Thompsons at the beginning of the war and M-3 Grease Guns later. But whenever I have a crew abandon a vehicle all they carry is pistols. What about it?

Eric

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EricM:

Would it be possible to mod the crew for US armor to have a least 1 SMG when they abandon a vehicle. I know that tank crews carried Thompsons at the beginning of the war and M-3 Grease Guns later. But whenever I have a crew abandon a vehicle all they carry is pistols. What about it?

Eric<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two reasons:

1. to prevent the end-of-game crew charge

2. If you abandon a tank in <5sec because you expect it to go boom any moment, would you care to take the family silver, the pin-ups or a weapon?

I have yet to read an account (and I have read quite a few) of a crew bailing that took a weapon.

Remember, if you bail, you will be send to the rear, where people don't shoot at you. If you keep a weapon, some weird CO might think you actually want to fight and put you in the line.

Somehow all the adds seem to be against it to me.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-11-2000).]

I believe that the average Sherman crew had about 5 seconds to bail out before their tank went WHOOSH in a huge fireball. Maybe it takes just three seconds to get the retaining straps off of your grease gun, and 1 second to grab some clips. Therefore, 1 second left. Do you think you could get out of a tank in 1 second? Me niether.

You are correct that crews had Grease guns, but they were mostly for gaurding the tank or for reconnacance on foot. The German MP40 was originally designed for tank crews. It has a rubber stop on the barrel so crews would know that the muzzle was out of the firing port before they opened fire. Brtish crews mostly carried Sten guns.

Back in the good 'ol beta demo days, I asked this same exact question, and these were the answers I got.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

I'd send you back to the front if you had a weapon Germanboy ! biggrin.gif

-johnS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He doesn't have a weapon? Well then go outside, find a couple of throwing rocks, and get your axx up to the lines, soldier!

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

He doesn't have a weapon? Well then go outside, find a couple of throwing rocks, and get your axx up to the lines, soldier!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sir! Exuse me Sir! I believe there is a brand-new (no pun intended) Sherman waiting for me in the depot Sir! If I may just go and get it, I'll be back in about a week Sir! Sorry you will have to do without me in the meantime, Sir! Good luck attacking through the Bocage Sir! My regards to the PBI, Sir!

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-11-2000).]