TacOps 4.0

Rocket7

Sorry but its too early to say.

Most of the new features are being specified by 16th Cavalry at Fort Knox . I don't know yet whether everything that is wanted will actually work or if every item can be coded in the time available. Some of the requested changes are ambitious.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

A while back there was an article in the Army Time's about a game being developed for the "general Population". This game was to be used as a training tool and be available to everyone. I'm wondering if the article was referring to TacOpsCav.

One thing I'd like to see that shouldn't be to hard to code is a toolbar. Nothing fancy maybe the most common functions. What be great is if we could configure the toolbar like what you find in MS Office.

Do you mind "wishlist" threads or user requests?

Thanks.

SFC TJ

I don't know about the Army Times article. The TacOpsCav contract came about in late September and early October. Was the artcle printed before or after that?

I don't mind wish list requests.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 12-16-2000).]

Does the military usually use commercial wargames like TacOps for training or operations planning/prediction? I suppose they would mostly be for training, but I do remember reading in Dunnigan's Wargames Handbook how a commercial tabletop wargame was used to help plan Desert Storm. Also, not too long ago I ran into something about West Point buying copies of Steel Beasts, although it's more of a tank simulator.

=====

mattwagner Does the military usually use commercial wargames like TacOps for training or operations planning/prediction? I suppose they would mostly be for training, but I do remember reading in Dunnigan's Wargames Handbook how a commercial tabletop wargame was used to help plan Desert Storm. Also, not too long ago I ran into something about West Point buying copies of Steel Beasts, although it's more of a tank simulator.

======

The army - at least at the user level, has been strongly resistant to using commercial computer sims. The ones most senior officers were "rasied on" were custom made, horrible interface pieces of junk like JANUS and others used for warfighter CPX's and the like.

There are many officers who, like myself, are hobbyists with wargaming and plan to use it to help in training. Outside of the mandatory MS Office and Pwerpoint skills, most military combat arms officers I have met have a distaste against using computers for much of anything.

Tacops is a perfect example. It debuted in 1994/5 and in 2000/2001 16 CAV (armor school) decides it might be a worthwile training tool. M1TP2 and iM1A2 (haven't played steel beasts) have been out for years and the graphics and play is better than what I saw in SIMNET - CCTT is close but how much does a few copies of those games cost? They have spent untold millions on COFT, PGT, SIMNET, and CCTT. We already have the computers and the networks but no one is using them for training. The only part missing is the "switchology" that is inherent by using a keyboard/mouse.

Using the major's advice my small group at ACCC played a reconnaissance scenario to test our group's plan - I played OPFOR while the rest of the class played out their plan on the proxima projector. It turned out to be a great tool and they were all amazed - but many of them still perceive it as too hard to set up. (If find it easy, but I'm a computer guy anyway)

I would love to see a modern version of CM and a Tacops that supported varying elevations better, as is, I am planning to use the above to help train my LT's and PSG's as a commander.

Also MajorH - a scenario editor would be beautiful - is this very hard to do?

[This message has been edited by Cavguy (edited 12-18-2000).]

A scenario editor is on the wish list.

It is very hard to do for the Windows version because of the way the many pieces of scenario data are stored in the scenario file in Windows resources format (dll).

So far I have not bee able to find a way to change Windows resource files (dll) without using a compiler.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

Tacops helps junior grade officers, like myself, think tactically. It helps us see the big picture and think about what the Opfor will be doing with terrain and tactics. I personally may never need to plan an operation, I will just be patching up those that do. I think that as an officer it is important to learn how the 'Game' (The one that really matters) is played, just in case.

I'm always promoting the game to my officers and enlisted soldiers alike. The enlisted guys are more apt to give it a try. The officers seem to think they are to busy. As a BN S-2 NCO I find the games interesting and thought provoking. Like any staff slug I like the planning that goes into the operation. The fulfillment comes at the end, if the plan was executed and the mission was successful. The most benefit is derived from a flawed plan which forces you to analyze why it failed. Planning engagement areas, determining axis of advance, coordinating and synchronizing fire support, task organizing, coordinating and synchronizing maneuuver, plus many more tactical functions. How can you not use this game as a tactical training tool?

Been a wargamer for over 20 years. Started with Panzer Blitz and graduated to the Europa series. Maybe this is why I'm more willing to use these sims for training. I'm still waiting for a sim with more of an "operational" flavor. I'm thinking a Division level sim using Company's as the maneuver units. This way we can implement more operational level stuff.

I think TacOpsCav is a great start in getting officers and enlisted soldiers into wargames as a tool. Part of the problem is comparing a wargame to real life. For those of us who still have our boots on the ground its hard not to make that comparison. For example as a Rocket artilleryman I see things in TacOps that aren't exactly right , but that doesn't detract from its value as a training tool.

With that being said I think there is a real need for the scenario/unit editors. In this way we can tweak the game to fit our needs.

Another improvement would be in the map area. There needs to be more variation in terrain types as well as multiple levels of elevation. Right now there is no distinction between restrictive and unrestrictive terrain. It is mainly go or slow go. Makes it hard to do a MCOO when units can move freely through, what looks like restrictive terrain. I'm talking tracked vehicles moving through the woods.

TacOps can only get better. A WW2 version would be great. Or what about a joint effort by ProSim, HPS , and MajorH?

One can only speculate on the possibilities.