Nationalty factors???

In CM we have green, experienced, veteran and elite troops, and i know that the fighting ability is different between each of these different units, but in CM is there ANY difference as to their abilties depending on which nation that they belong to?. What i'm trying to get at is....even though we are all human beings - the surroundings and environment that we are brought up in surely must have a factor in how we react under certain circumstances - such as WAR!...i.e - were the Russian people prepared to suffer more than say the British/USA because they were used to living under harsher conditions than us?...Would people living under a Dictator fight "harder" than those living under a Democracy or visa-versa?.

We all have our national pride and we all think that our countries/armies are the best (as often seen on the forum when we swap good natured "insults!??" between ourselves smile.gif )

Anyone have any thoughts/comments on this???.

------------------

Staffordshire - England (A CM-Free Zone)

COMBAT MISSIONS- The Source For CM Ops & Scenarios

WWW.COMBATMISSIONS.CO.UK

I think I understand what your trying to say.

Perhaps, Green units for country X get "this" bonus as historically their countrymen displyed "these" traits. My question is where do you draw the line?

I believe that entering this into the game's engine would be possible, however I also believe that it may become a point of contention. I'll give you an example;

Lets say that BTS decide to give Yank soldiers an attack bonus based on the actions of the American Army or those specific elements at a "particular" battle. Then, the patch is sent out. Well, low and behold, our Polish friends get their troops....unmodified. What is this, an insult to the Poles? Does giving American units a bonus and not giving one to the Poles mean that Yanks are inherently better soldiers? I can see such "nationalistic" attributes doing harm to both the CM community and sales of the game if certain nationalities are given "preferential treatment" over others.

I guess you could counter that with the argument to give ALL nations in the game certain bonuses, trying to achieve the "Different, not better or worse" argument. But then one can in turn reply, why bother at all?

Personally, I think the way the game is set up now, where in Operations troops can gain experience is the way to go. Even pitting green allied troops against SS is fair. I substantiate that by pointing to history. Obviously there were very few "fair" battles ever fought.

I agree that putting more traits into the game would add a certain flavour, easily creating a sense of "pride" for every nation that is presently represented in CM. I just think it has to be done in such a way as to not simply state or imply that some are "better" than others, otherwise we get back to that vicious circle I dicussed earlier. smile.gif

------------------

"Hosti Acie Nominati"