Would anyone like to see smaller tracer fire?

I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks the tracer fire is a bit big and clunky looking. it's abvously a great tool, but I think it'd benefit by having the actual tracers be thinner, instead of looking like big higlighter marks...

Guest Michael emrys

It's probably just my rig, but sometimes (more often than not) they appear to be flying back to their source.

Neat thing I like is that the Germans' is a different color from the Allies. Wonder if this was true in real life too.

Michael

Yes. It is true and correctly modelled. Somebody ( I think it was the japanese?) even had green tracer fire. That always struck me as eerie for some odd reason.

Tracers are beautiful in real life. Right until you get hit by them.

Zamo

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

It's probably just my rig, but sometimes (more often than not) they appear to be flying back to their source.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This may be due to the "stroboscope" effect if the frame rate of your computer is a bit slow (a bit like wagon wheels goig backwards in old cowboy movies).

Henri

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henri:

This may be due to the "stroboscope" effect if the frame rate of your computer is a bit slow (a bit like wagon wheels goig backwards in old cowboy movies).

Henri<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's what I think too. There is a faster card in my future somewhere...if I just live long enough.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zamo:

Tracers are beautiful in real life. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have always thought so. A couple times in Germany I was around for an evening "mad minute" on the tank range (Graf, I think), when a platoon of tanks would fire off all the unexpended munitions of the day.

The .50, the coax, and of course the main gun all had different tracers. They "float" downrange like long strings of christmas lights, and you don't understand the terrific velocities until they ricochet after hitting something, and they suddenly become comets streaking off at odd angles.

Beautiful, terrifying, and LOUD.

I agree. I think the tracers should be a little smaller. They remind me of the tracers from an older Korean War flight sim called Sabre Ace. I remember thinking the same thing then too. I'm sure someone will come out with a mod for it. At the rate mods are coming out, this will probably be an entirely different game by Christmas.

Guest Madmatt

Tracers can't be moded. They are native to the game code. So are the graphics for the main gun flash, main gun rounds, pistols, bazookas, panzerschreks and some other effects.

The reason for the size of the tracers (small arms AND main guns) is to grab your attention. They are oversized so that you can better SEE them and not for pure eye candy.

Madmatt

p.s. at 1280 x 960, they dont look so big though! wink.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing