O/T Glider Pilots

I'm in the midst of watching a show on the History Channel about Glider Pilots during WWII, part of the SUICIDE MISSIONS series. It has discussed their training and operations in detail. The glider troops were another arm of the airborne divisions, working in concert with the parachute troops.

The thing that caught my attention was a reference one of the veterans made to a specific encounter some of them were involved in. Apparently, the 17th airborne division was short some infantry troops so the glider pilots of a specific assault group volunteered to form a company on the ground and act as regular infantry once they landed.

The regular para's told them to occupy and hold a specific area but that they shouldn't worry, as the Germans wouldn't come through that way. If the Germans came through at all, it would be where the para's had placed their 75mm gun. Of course, the guys in feldgrau came directly into the defenses held by the pilots. It was a pretty intense engagement, and the Germans only fell back after they lost a panzer to a bazooka. The Germans had lost about 50 out of 200, while the glider pilots had no losses. The pilots named the engagement "Burp Gun Corner." The next morning they formed up and marched back to their bases, taking their prisoners along with them.

Now of course, we can simulate all of this in CM, but the important question is how do we rate these guys. Can you imagine what the German prisoners must have thought, being captured and marched by a Company of Airborne Officers - not an enlisted man in the group. What kind of army is this! And to top it off, are these down and dirty grunts or genteel airedales!

biggrin.gif

Guest Scott Clinton

I would rate them as Vets+ Many of these pilots were veterans of Market Garden and D-Day.

BTW: it was only a platoon that they formed, not a company. If you think about it, thats a LOT of pilots either way... wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>....a Company of Airborne Officers - not an enlisted man in the group.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression most glider pilots were enlisted men.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>...If I recall correctly, British glider pilots formed an infantry unit upon landing...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

... aka the Glider Pilot Regiment. In the UK AB Divs they formed approx the equivalent of two inf bns. There were a LOT of gliders in a full div air assault: all those for the AL Bde, plus all the heavy units (AT, Arty, Mech Recon, Med, etc)

Seriously - what else would you have these guys do? Fly home? They just crash landed their plane! So, like everyone else in a AB Div, they're stuck until the ground forces catch up.

Regards

Jon

[This message has been edited by Jon_S (edited 07-10-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

In American AB divisions the pilots had no assigned combat role after they got on the ground. They were supposed to find their way back to their own lines. Weird if you ask me. I don't know how the Germans addressed the problem. The Brits did as Jon_S described, but I'm not sure that it was more than a battalion.

Miichael

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I don't know how the Germans addressed the problem. The Brits did as Jon_S described, but I'm not sure that it was more than a battalion.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC the Germans treated them as infantrymen with a glider pilot licence. Gliders are still very popular in Germany. At Arnhem they had one Glider Pilot Regiment (=Batallion) but I have no idea about the strength of it.

------------------

Andreas