OT: a question for those in London area

Guest Germanboy

There is a small shop with sort of bargain basement stuff on Charing Cross. When you come out of Leicester Square Stn. cross the street and go right for about 200m. It is on a corner. Don't know the name. It looks a bit seedy (they have a large adult section in the back), but in the front they have a lot of military books.

There is also a military book antiquariat, right when you come out of Leicester Square Stn. Turn right, and you look at it. Ethan might now the name of it.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

There is a small shop with sort of bargain basement stuff on Charing Cross. When you come out of Leicester Square Stn. cross the street and go right for about 200m. It is on a corner. Don't know the name. It looks a bit seedy (they have a large adult section in the back), but in the front they have a lot of military books.

There is also a military book antiquariat, right when you come out of Leicester Square Stn. Turn right, and you look at it. Ethan might now the name of it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, can't remember the name, except that it was a proper name along the lines of "Jeremy Oliver, Bookseller", rather than "Military Antiquities" or s.t. similar. Take the easternmost exit out of Leicester Square station and turn right, i.e., don't cross Charing Cross Road. It's on the left side of that little side street.

The Imperial War Museum in Lambeth also has a gift shop and, I believe, book store, although I didn't have time to visit it when I was there.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

The military section in Foyles bookshop is still one the best - they have so many books (including foreign language) that they have never been able to catalogue them. Its on Charing Cross Road which, as mentioned, is crammed with bookshops of all kinds. This one is closer to Tottenham Court Road tube.

Also there is the smaller 'Motorbooks' in St. Martins Court, just off Charing Cross Road - near Leicester Sq. tube. Motorbooks is actually three separate shops in a row, the left hand one dealing with military subjects.

Cheers,

Mike

(PS, Andreas, I do hope you haven't been down into that basement... wink.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeO:

The military section in Foyles bookshop is still one the best - they have so many books (including foreign language) that they have never been able to catalogue them. Its on Charing Cross Road which, as mentioned, is crammed with bookshops of all kinds. This one is closer to Tottenham Court Road tube.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC, Foyle's is no more. I heard that the owner died and the family didn't want to run the business any more. Can anyone corroborate this?

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

IIRC, Foyle's is no more. I heard that the owner died and the family didn't want to run the business any more. Can anyone corroborate this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ethan, I think Foyles still exists - it was there when we met in June, IIRC.

And Mike, no I haven't - was too busy checking out the military section... Maybe next time, I have pretty much bought all the interesting books they have...

Please note that all smilies on this iBook went missing during an overnighter in Soho.

------------------

Andreas

Was in London a couple of years ago--great city!! I went to the Imperial War Museum and , yes, they do have many books in the gift shop. I would recommend checking out the museum if you have the time. Missed out on seeing the RAF museum--bummer....

Have fun----Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Foyle's was still in business last weekend when I was in the process of buying a reasonably large stack of military history books. (Had to have some good reading material for the hop back across the Pond...)

The cashier pointed out that one of the Foyles was walking around the main floor and passed just behind me, so I feel confident in saying it's no only still in business, but it's also still a family business!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Iconoclast:

Foyle's was still in business last weekend when I was in the process of buying a reasonably large stack of military history books. (Had to have some good reading material for the hop back across the Pond...)

The cashier pointed out that one of the Foyles was walking around the main floor and passed just behind me, so I feel confident in saying it's no only still in business, but it's also still a family business! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad I'm wrong. Foyle's is unique, and uniquely British.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Gimme a shopping cart, 1000£ and half an hour at Foyles... Please?

Anyway, good luck Tommi, we expect a full report once you get back.

------------------

Geier

"The succesful execution of a well devised plan often looks like luck to saps."

Dashiell Hammett

• 2 weeks later...

Geier wrote:

Gimme a shopping cart, 1000£ and half an hour at Foyles... Please?

Let's make that one hour. It took me half an hour to burn £135, but I spent the last ten minutes trying to decide on which book should I spend the last £15.

Anyway, good luck Tommi, we expect a full report once you get back.

To tell the truth, I didn't buy too many WWII books, certainly less than I planned. I didn't get past the Medieval history section... However, I stumbled on Rudel's "Stuka Pilot" and I didn't have to think twice to grab it.

Well, in case you are interested, here is the complete book list with costs (in the order that they are piled on my living room floor):

Norman: The Medieval Soldier (£15)

Petronius: The Satyricon (£6.99)

Warner: Sieges of the Middle Ages (£4.99)

Collier & Manley: How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs (£9.99)

Glantz: The Soviet Conduct of Tactical Maneuver - Spearhead of the Offensive (£18) (This was the last book that I chose, had to decide between it and a Keegan)

Barlett: England Under the Norman and Angevin Kings 1075-1225 (£30)

Ayton: Knights and Warhorses (£19.99)

Rudel: Stuka Pilot (£20)

Beowulf (£7.95)

Sturluson: Edda (prosaic) (£5.99)

Gurney: The Hittites (£9.99)

Payne-Gallwey: The Crossbow (£14.99)

Costing the grand total of £163.88.

(In addition to those I had to carry some 1600 pages of conference proceedings.

- Tommi