Blind, lame, mentally incompetent and in charge of a Tiger

Okay, normally I don't go on about what happens to me in PBEM games, but this I just have to share to see if anyone can top it.

My Tiger managed to miss a Sherman 76 five times from a range of about 250 metres. It takes the buttoned Sherman two shots just to spot that it is in trouble. It then swivels, my Tiger misses again, the Sherman misses. The Tiger misses again, Sherman hits but shell breaks up. Again Tiger misses, this time Sherman finally puts the Tiger out of its misery. There was one crew casualty, and I certainly hope it was the gunner.

I can just imagine the situation in the tank:

TC: Look Hans, a Sherman. Quick, let him have it.

(Bang)

TC: Missed, left 10 yards. Quick, swivel right, fire.

(Bang)

TC: No Hans you fool, too far right. Back left again.

Hans: Ow, Karl, you stood on my fingers...

(Bang)

TC: What the hell, missed again.

Hans: It's Karl's fault, he stood on my...

TC: Shut up, he's spotted us. Quick, shoot again.

Hans: Oops!

TC: What do you mean, oops.

Hans: I bumped the aiming bit.

(Bang)

TC: Mein Gott, you've missed again, you fool.

(Clang)

TC: We're hit, quickly, try again.

(Bang)

Hans: Oh no, the impact must have knocked off the aiming.

(Clang)

I sympathize completely.....

but I must ask what was the experience level of the Tiger crew? Weather conditions? Who was moving? Hull down? Light conditions?

That said, the game designers and Charles specifically, will tell you ALL is WELL with the game and the code that since your Tiger was being fired upon, they were not "calm cool gunners" but were in fact quite unnerved, lost their cool and then they were Really really UNLUCKY.

I have been told something like this in the past.

But for a Tiger Crew to Miss 5 shots in a row at 250 m Well I do agree there may be something wrong. Perhaps the forth and fifth shot at the range should be modeled with an %80 and %90 chance to hit, depending on crew experince, BUT EVEN then, on the fourth shot you have a 1 in 5 chance to miss and then on the 5th shot you have a 1 in ten chance to miss and then MAYBE you just were unlucky.

I'm quite certian Charles will tell you it was just not their day and that Tiger was just simply unlucky.

I Still say that the 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th chance to hit percentages should be bumped up for tanks with Good sights firing rounds by well trained gunners like in the German Tiger.

But that is a WHOLE other thread.

Tiger crew misses 5 times at 250 m?

That's gotta HURT!

-tom w

The crew was regular, neither tank was hull down and the weather was clear. Perfect shooting conditions, you might say.

I'm not complaining about the game mechancis though. For all I know the chance of hitting could have been 99% and my tank just happened to get 100%. And I haven't seen this sort of performance often enough to be worrying.

I've played enough wargames to know that sometimes the luck just doesn't go with you. It doesn't make you feel happier at the time though.