A Question re gyrostabilizers

Dear Sir,

I played ASL for years, and one of the points that the game notes made (a point reflected in game-play rules) was that although Shermans came equipped with gyrostabilizers most troops did not trust/know-how-to-use them. The result, according to the researchers for the ASL game, was that very few Shermans ever employed their gyrostabilizers. Most were disconnected by the crews themselves. CM, on the other hand, allows every Sherman to utilize these mechanisms, and the result is a significant increase in the offensive capabilities of those tanks. My question is whether this is historically accurate. If ASL is indeed correct, then I would be very much in favor of a patch/mod in order to curtail the use of the gyrostabilizer.

Many thanks,

Alexander Lassner

To simplify things, all allied vehicles that _could_ have had a gyrostabilizer installed have them in CM, but their effectiveness is degraded (due to poor maintenance, lack of training, or other factors). So a vehicle indicated as having a gyrostabilizer in CM is better than one without a stabilizer, but not as good as a real-world tank with a fully-functioning stabilizer. Obviously there are several arguments you could make against this approach, but it has the virtue of simplicity if nothing else.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley