WWII Battles - Reference Book Suggestions?

I am often on the lookout for a good reference book that covers many important battles of WWII, but I have yet to find a really good one. The closest was the Times Atlas of WWII, but this was very strategic in scale.

The book I am looking for should include for each battle, a narrative of the battle, plus a detailed map with starting positions and OOB. Smallest units should be platoons or companies. It would make a good reference work for scenario editors, for CM or other wargames.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Has such a book ever been published? Anybody?

Hundminen

[This message has been edited by Hundminen (edited 02-17-2000).]

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Well, Great Battles of World War II is a decent one. Its got computer contoured maps of the battles. It doesn't show starting positions, but it does show probably enough land to make a decent CM-sized scenario. It also contains narrative including units names and such. I don't recall if it mentions OB tables.

My copy was a paperback, but has since then been made into a hardback. Look it up on Amazon.com or equivalent Internet book site.

------------------

"I want you to remember that...no bastard ever won a war...by dying for his country...He won it...by making the other poor dumb bastard...die for his country."--George S. Patton

Guest Seimerst

I doubt if you will ever find what you are looking for in just one book. The scope of the work to to that would be enormous. The U.S. Government Printing Office sells the "official" history and it runs many volumes (and bug bucks)and is still not at the level of detail that you are seeking. This will be an interesting thread to follow to see if there is the "holy grail" for CM scenario design.

Guest gyrene251

Unfortunatley, there is no one source. Like many others you have to go to many sources. Over the years I have collected many WW2 books and I still have to go to several volumes to get the info I need. One book I have found invaluable is the German Army Handbook (author escapes me) which has TO&E breakdown of German units.

Guest Gunnerdream

Hundminen, you old dawg! Since when do you have time to read? Aren't your days occupied with kicking my a*s via e-mail? Oh the shame!!!!

Gunnerdream...floating down through the clouds...

There is a nice set called THE WEST POINT ATLAS OF AMERICAN WARS...naturally it includes WW2 as well. It used to be sold in a two volume slipcased set. Now it is sold in several smaller volumes. It has great maps that fold out at the back.

It may still be at a higher level than you seek, but it is a good set. Now that it is in smaller volumes you might find WW2 as a separate one.

One of the members of this site is a WP instructor...maybe he can add some suggestions...

I really agree with seimerst on this one.

It seems to me(could be wrong here..)

that battalion level is the best we're going to get.but,battalion level info is really a

goldmine if you can find it.The U.S.Center for Military History series(ETO)is,to me,the best thing I've seen so far.(Hint,if you can find them in paperback,you can get them pretty cheap.I just got nearly a full set at 20$ a book.)(lot of legwork,though)verry good info. esp.Lorraine Campaign.just chock full of aerial

photos of battlegrounds,tons of maps(the best maps I've seen yet!) (including German Op maps of Arrarcourt tank

battle)(wich would make a damn fine CM Scenario,lots of Panthers and FOG!!)43 in all! all the maps show battalion frontage,...so just divide the frontage to get company positions.The books are verry good for info about formations in reserve.(if a company is not in line,you'll know)Also good info on German unit org(wich,

after Falaise,gets a little wacky)well, that's my 2c.Hope it helps!

P.S.:for BoB:Hitlers Last Gamble,Trevor N.Dupuy.Good.OOB's+++Maps,wellll..,they're allright.Info+++.

[This message has been edited by mch (edited 02-19-2000).]

[This message has been edited by mch (edited 02-19-2000).]

Guest Seimerst

I taught was what called "History of the Military Art" from 1980-83 and am VERY familiar with the books they use for the yearlong course. They were written by various faculty members specifically for the course objectives. While the are excellent works, they won't provide the detail needed for scenario design.