Task Force Peter John

SeaRich

Has anybody ever won TF Peter John? How did you do it? If this scenario had actually happened, what would have been the likelihood of a US victory.

In this scenario,which units are best for Recon usage? I noticed that in TF Pipes (the Canadian version), the BluFOR is provided with several Coyote Recces to do spotting. In Peter John, the army force is all tanks and so forth. Any suggestions for a good recon plan?

The answer to your question is ..smoke.

Split your force in three units and advance towards the enemy.

Than lay a smokescreen in front of your troops and use the SOP menu.

I like to use the retreat after firing order and the pop smoke if fired on order.

when you retreat move the smokescreen to(mortarcarrier)make sure that if a unit moves another unit can provide coverfire.

That should do it.

If you want to pbem it than send me a setup.

My email is in the profile above this message.

Henk

As a result of this discussion, I played Peterjohn for the first time yesterday. I took a slightly different approach. I put one tank company on the high ground southeast of the town, ordered the mech company to the small hill in the middle, and kept the other two tank companies near the town.

As the battle unfolded, two technological advantages for the US became clear: the OPFOR had no thermal sights, and they had no ICM (or at least didn't fire any).

As Stoffel noted, this first issue makes it easy for the Blue Force to shoot with impunity, and the lack of ICM makes Red artillery virtually useless. Strangely, the OPFOR never fired their MRL at me.

The OPFOR charged with tanks and BMPs across the whole wadi. My tank company on the high ground kept the OPFOR from there. The OPFOR, however, eventually overran the mech by the central hill. (In retrospect, I probably could have won without putting them there.) The enemy never got close to the town, and I ended the game with a counterattack to clean up the remnants of OPFOR. They had 100% casualties by game's end, and I had 35% (due mainly to the mauling of the mech company.) Fun scenario.