CM on Athlon 1GHZ machine holy crap!

I paid a visit to a friend of mine who owns CM and also a screaming Athlon 1GHZ PC with a Geforce2. All I can say is wow! I thought I was getting great framerates with my P600 but seeing CM being played at 1280*1024 32bit color and framerates that were smooth at glass, made me salivate.

The 1GHZ system ran the largest scenarios without any stutter whatsoever. Tracers flew past at full speed and it was like playing a completely different game. The action phase happened almost instantaniously. No more 10 second pauses, you hit "GO" and boom, it's about a second to think then away it goes.

I was so impressed by CM with this screaming PC that I am saving up for a massive upgrade at Christmas time. Like I mentioned earlier, it's like a different game when the framerates are super fast.

I hear ya. I'm going to be upgrading soon and I'm going to be getting

an 1100-1200 mghz system with a super fast video card. And I'm really

looking forward to seeing what CM looks like at high res at about 100 fps. biggrin.gif

It's nice knowing that the action will never slow no matter how big

the battle. smile.gif

P.S. I think your friend was really smart to get an Athlon, they are faster

and cheaper than PIII's (and a *lot* easier to get). smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lee (edited 07-24-2000).]

Yeah, it's amazing alright. When I came home after playing on his 1GHZ monster, I couldn't stop daydreaming about it. Up until then I was so impressed with my P600 - I thought It was fast. Hell no! Clash of Eagles (one of the most CPU demanding scenarios) ran so smooth that the tracers were moving by so darn fast, that if you went into first person view, it would cause you to leap out of your seat. No joke, it was taking that AI about a second to "think" between turns on large scenarios. He was running at 1280*1024 32bit which made it even more impressive. You bet I'll be saving every penny I can to upgrade now.

Edit: I just looked up the price of a Athlon 1GHZ CPU. $825 (CPU only)

[This message has been edited by Ricky (edited 07-24-2000).]

Guest ACTOR

Ricky...too awesome! biggrin.gif I am in the process of getting the OK from "The Boss" here to get a 1 Ghz Athlon system. Now I want it even more! My wife hates you right now...ha ha ha...too bad for her!

Thanks

Well, as a Mac person, I can't wait to get the new dual processor G4 cube... of course, I'll be saving for that until next year sometime smile.gif

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Ricky, If that's a p600e (ie coppermine) you've got there why don't you just clock it out to ~800? Even if it's an older chip you should still be able to get another 100MHz or so out of it.

At 800 you'll get 90% of the performance of a gig chip for the price of a decent heatsink.

Decent ram and a motherboard to match will be required but they'll cost you less than that chip you're looking at and will last you until you fell the need to go DDR. (hey I feel that now).

MM: Hey finally someone else that appreciates the five rings! It's the closest thing I've found to a bible.

[This message has been edited by lynx (edited 07-24-2000).]

Guest herbjorn

My next system, "CM enhanced" ;P:

duron 650@950 MHz

abit KT7 motherboard

geforce2mx

globalwin FOP32 heatsink/fan

thecardcooler xt (2x120mm)

I already have an Aopen HX08 full-tower with 3x80mm fans.

The reason I am going for the geforce2mx, is, it should do nicely for CM and other games, and its cheap (120-150$). GF2 is memory-bandwidth limited anyway, no use forking out 250$+ for it. I save around over 100$ buying the gf2mx, 100$ which will be used for when I am going to buy the nv20 (successor to geforce2) around christmas (or shortly after).