Changing the vehicles armour.

I hope you could answer these questions, if I am asking anything which is commercially sensitive please tell me.

What I would like to know is if a piece of software could be made that would allow the users to customise vehicle. That is to alter the parameters of gun, armour, and engine.

The reason would be so that other vehicles could be simulated even if the vehicle shown did not look like that. I would also serve to take away on complains about the realism of the vehicles. If you are unhappy with the vehicle you could simply change it.

For example a chieftain tank could be simulated by a Panther, with 400mm of frontal armour, fast traverse, gyrostabiliser, and the guns penetration upped by about 2.5. (That and all the other differences)

So my question is, is this possible?

Whether or not would depend on how you are modelling the combat and how vehicles are represented.

I looked at the penetration charts on the website. Now these show the kill percentages of tanks hitting each other. Is this the way it works in the game?

Are the percentages calculated in advance and put in tables which the computer accesses during the game? Or is each shot calculated as to where it will hit and then the computers works out what will happen?

If it works by the second means it would be relatively easy to change armour and gun variables, for the first method it would be very much harder.

Also the units themselves are they extrapolations from a single basic model or are they each individually coded?

I ask this because I would quite like to model a post war infantry squad, which could be modelled by 7 soldiers carrying BAR’s and one carrying an MG42. This would accurately model a squad carrying FN FAL and MAG’s. Of course they would be just as mobile and less visible than their wartime colleagues.

I think this would make for some interesting simulations and also some amusing confrontations..

Thanks,

Dan

Each vehicle is hard coded into the game expressly to prevent the kind of thing you're talking about. The vehicle and gun data has been extensively researched. You'd have to come up with some sound data to convince Steve and Charles to make changes, and they made sure they're the only ones that can make the changes. Don't know how target hits work but penetration data is done in a scientific manner. Every variable is taken into account using real numbers down to the mm.

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

It's my understanding that weapon data are hard-coded into the executable. So, I don't think what you're asking is possible. You could change the appearance or sounds of the squad members, but they'd still be shooting Garands and Mausers at each other. Bear in mind that I'm not a programmer, and I could very well be wrong smile.gif

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

[This message has been edited by Chupacabra (edited 09-02-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

I don't think that is going to happen. The first reason I could see is multiplayer, how do you make sure that the data stays compatible.

------------------

Andreas