Damage realism a bit off... (short txt)

First off, *excellent* game. This will probably feed my WW2 fixation for months/years to come. I can only hope they keep developing for it via patches long after release.

Now for my observation. I was just playing as the Axis forces and saw something occur several times which I found funny and pretty unrealistic. Occasionally I'd have infantrymen which were fired upon by a Sherman main gun and the round would hit literally at their feet. (Complete with little crater going off point blank) However, they would literally sustain NO damage. This was not an isolated incident but happened many times. I'm of the opinion that realistically if that main gun round had actually hit at their feet in real life they'd be in quite a bit worse shape than panicked. ;)

Just an observation, it has probably been made before.

Also, and I know you grognard wargaming types will bite my head off for this. A close Combat 4 style "slow realtime" play mode would probably go quite a ways to making this more of a mainstream title. (As an option of course)

All for now, good work on an excellent sim!

Actually fairly realistic, if they where completely wiped out that would have been less realistic, its late and im tired but bear with me, I was reading a book today where people where being shelled by artillery and sustained only scratches. Just because it lands at their feet doesn't guarantee casualties.

Darkwind,

Are you using the default visual scale?

If you hit shift-c, you can cycle through the settings of: realistic to enlarge +1 through +4. Unless, I'm mistaken the default is enlarge +2.

Also, consider ,no casualties, doesn't seem statistically impossible depending on where the explosion occured in proximity to your squad.

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Darkwind,

Glad you like it smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Just an observation, it has probably been made before. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, it has been. This is a misperception problem on the player's part. First off, nothing landed "at their feet" since the graphics do not represent where the guys acually are. Second, they got lucky smile.gif It happens and happens more frequently than you might think in real war. I know that one big beef with Close Combat is how fragile and vulnerable its infantry is to tank fire. So if you are using CC for refference, not a good idea smile.gif

As for Real Time... it has nothing to do with us vs. them type thing. Do a search on Real Time using this BBS' Search function. You will find a slew of long threads on the subject. Short of it is that to do as you suggest we would have to toss out nearly the entire code base and start all over again from scratch. And then we would have to reduce CM's scope, dumb down the path finding, cripple the AI, tear out the detailed physics, and in general take away all that makes CM stand out as different. So it isn't going to happen smile.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Darkwind:

Also, and I know you grognard wargaming types will bite my head off for this. A close Combat 4 style "slow realtime" play mode would probably go quite a ways to making this more of a mainstream title. (As an option of course)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ARRRGH!!!

I am NO grognard, but I swear to god if this ever became a "real time" style game I would turn the CD into a coaster in a split second. And I mean a coaster reserverd for BAD beer!!! Not my good beer!!

[This message has been edited by Phoenix (edited 05-18-2000).]

Steve wrote:

Second, they got lucky It happens and happens more frequently than you might think in real war.

Lately I have been reading a book on Finnish volunteers in Waffen-SS and strangely each time something like this comes on the board just after I've read a diary quote that applies to the situation.

Namely, I just read a diary entry describing an occurrence where Soviets managed to land a shell (probably 76 mm, I'm not sure) _into_ a full dugout. (That is, the shell exploded inside the walls of the dugout). By laws of probability all those inside should have either died or been heavily wounded. However, no one died and only seven (out of some twenty) were really wounded and the rest were only slightly concussed.

- Tommi