AI Targeting Oddity

So, I decided to present my opponent with three light armor targets at about 500 meters for his medium armor. As I'm watching the replay, I discover that the AI employs a targeting practice that is not quite right.

I watch the medium tank move from its cover and immediately target one of my light targets. As expected, the enemy tank fires. What is amazing is that he then targets my other light tank before his shell arrives to destroy his first target. How did he know he would get a kill? This procedure is repeated and all three targets are currently warming the neighborhood.

Any thoughts?

SuperTed

I have had morters target themsleves when a simular enemy target would be out of range because too close and an enemy armored car, rotate vehicle, then gun, then aim and fire, while my M8 is pointed in the correct direction, has been targeted on the enemy in out of sight mode and has hunted up to target acquisition point. All this at point blank range and both buttoned. This seems to be a bit out of range to me. I could attempt to rationalize the M8 failure easier than the morter, if forced. By the way both AFVs missed first shots and ended with a mutual kill.

But, to get to the orignal question, it seems AI reaction in the hands of the computer side runs a bit faster than it does for me. We always have to watch ourselves, however, for anxieity driven time acceleration, when it is our chestnuts being scorched and deacceleration when it is otherwise.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SuperTed:

I watch the medium tank move from its cover and immediately target one of my light targets. As expected, the enemy tank fires. What is amazing is that he then targets my other light tank before his shell arrives to destroy his first target. How did he know he would get a kill? This procedure is repeated and all three targets are currently warming the neighborhood.

Any thoughts?

SuperTed<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gunner in the tank is an ex-sniper? smile.gif

Other AT that was not observed actually doing the killing?

Highly accurate suppressive fire?

Not a too bad idea for the latter if that's what it is. Fire a shot towards each to force 'em to back off and just got lucky 3 times?

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

I have had SPG's do this several times. I think it may be related to new targets coming into view that are more dangerous (i.e. the current target isn't dead, but hey, here is something more dangerous coming into view).

Guest Scott Clinton

Actually I beleive the time lag is do to the fact that the shot's results are calculated and known before the shot's graphic image is ever fired.

It would appear that the AI is reacting to this knowlege prior the graphic representation actually hitting the target.

I am not sure that the speed of grapical representation of the AT shots we are seeing is accurate anyway. I have not idea really, but they seem slow to me, but if they were too fast we could not see them.

I like them just the way they are. smile.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 07-17-2000).]