Go Volksturm! (Deception tactics)

I have discovered a decent deception tactic against my friend. I was playing a QB with him and I was Germans defending with FJ troops. Well, just about all my troops were in action for most of the game. (Large map, could not keep reserves) But, when I was picking troops, I picked some Volksturm snipers instead of FJ ones by accident. When he encountered them, he believed me to have at least a platoon of Volks troops somewhere, thus making him more cautious. I just thought it can be a good deception. Probably more frightening if you use SS snipers or something. I have also been thinking about buying a different branch's support units, like a Gebirgsjaeger MG42 to make him think I have many Gebirgs troops out somewhere. Or an arty observer. This sound like a decent thing to do or does it not fool anybody but my friend?

Guest Big Time Software

The sort of snipers we model in CM are more like "sharpshooters". They aren't the highly trained one-shot-one-kill types churned out of special sniping schools, but rather an individual who knows how to shoot better than average (usually smile.gif). These guys were used for all sorts of things, including what you did to your friend.

When an attacking force comes upon a single man with a gun, the commander has to ask himself... "is it just one man trying to hold us up, or is this a trap". It could just as easily be a sharpshooter positioned behind a full platoon of Ambushing troops, hoping to draw the enemy into thinking all there is ahead is just a sniper, then BANG! All over.

So when used correctly, and with some luck, a single sharpshooter can produce some great results. HOWEVER, if I happen upon a sharpshooter, bag him, and find no other troops... I assume the defender is either weak or doesn't know how to use sharpshooters smile.gif

Steve