Setup Order?

Here's another one of those issues that springs up from a bad personal experience...

I start VoT as Americans, up against +50% AI and free setup. When it comes time for first turn orders, I see that one of my Shermans is in plain view of 4 75mm bunkers! Amazingly it takes one out on the first shot as it frantically reverses towards cover but gets popped anyway. That brings up my question - why do I not know where the major, visible defensive items are before I set up? I think that something like a concrete bunker sitting on the side of a hill with a 75mm gun sticking out shouldn't get a chance at a sneak attack on the first turn. It seems like the "defensive" player should have to set up first, and any plainly visible units should be shown to the other player during setup.

I bet this has been covered before, but I couldn't come up with the right search words -maybe someone could summarize a prior discussion for me as I try to figure out a way to hide my remaining tank from all these bunkers until the smoke rolls in...

Not complaining, just wondering,

TT

Problem is that you have different angles from which units could/could not be seen. So a mean player (or maybe by mistake) could find enemy units and set his units in the best way. I noticed a bug in CloseCombat 2 where you could target enemy units in setup mode and even get the exact unit description, so you could start all weapons firing (works only against AI). Just think of the setup phase at dawn and when you are finished the morning fog raises and oops, there is a bunker smile.gif

murx

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TexasToast:

That brings up my question - why do I not know where the major, visible defensive items are before I set up? I think that something like a concrete bunker sitting on the side of a hill with a 75mm gun sticking out shouldn't get a chance at a sneak attack on the first turn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, camouflage comes to mind. These bunkers were often quite well-hidden. I think it is okay that you don't know where they are until they open up. Unless they are put into the open field, plain for everyone to view. I guess this just simulates the need for proper recon.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)