Demolitions Update?

Will defenders be able to preset satchels or other charges to rubble a small building (such as those in the front of Riesberg)?

I know there was a monster thread that went all over the place about Engineers/Pioneers blowing up bridges, clearing minefields, etc., but I think most of those other questions were answered. The thread moved away from small-scale demolitions, and I'm curious that with several months of game evolution there may be an answer to this.

I just want to blow up a little building...

Guest Big Time Software

The short answer is no. We were on the fence about some of the applications of explosives, but the final piece of evidence is in and now we are against satchels doing much of anything.

I came across "FM 5-34 Engineer Field Data", and it is loaded with all sorts of really cool stuff. Dated June 1962 it outlines how much explosives are needed, along with estimated prep time, to blow up various structures (especially bridges). A bunch of satchel charges wouldn't even make a dent smile.gif

While a few satchels could certainly blow out a wall, unless the building were already seriously damaged it would not be enough to cause the building to colapse.

The only thing we want to do with satchels, but can't at the moment, is "mouse holing" inside buildings. That will have to wait for a future version as the whole building code needs to be rewritten.

Steve

Anything else that could be done to booby-trap a recently evacuated structure to provide a house-warming for the new occupants?

I don't disagree with the above decision at all, but got spoiled by another game where satchels were the deadliest antitank force on the battlefield wink.gif .

Guest Big Time Software

Los, that would indeed be cool. It presents a similar problem as bocage and buildings, so we'll just have to see smile.gif

Nope, no boobytraps. In general boobytraps were left behind in areas that were not contested. The purpose of the boobytrap was to slow up the enemy in an area that would otherwise be driven through in short order.

Actually, satchels are deadly AT weapons. The problem is you have to have a unit in the right place, at the right time, and in the right condition for it to work. In other words, easier said than done smile.gif

Steve