New to demo, got some wows and woes

Ok, to start off with...I like it. It's damn good, actually. I does everything I hoped the close combat series would do and does it with grace and style. I'm running on my gateway laptop with the AGP Rage Mobility-m, so i don't get to quite take advantage of the graphics to their full extent, but the game is still great fun.

Now my problem...I can't get past the 9th turn. I don't mean this as a problem of skill, as in I get creamed before turn 8, but ever time I get to the ninth turn, the thing hangs after the "action" phase. Anyone got any ideas? Any patches I could get or some such?

Thanks

Brian P. Cleary

What scenario are you playing? If it is Last defense something happens on turn 10 that requires files not previously required by the game (*not a spoiler!*) You might try reinstalling the game as some of these resources or files might be corrupted.

- Bill

It happens on last defense and...err...Riesberg <I think that's the other name, or something similar> Should I try to redownload the demo? Btw, what version should I have of the demo, I'm starting to think I've got an out of date version.

Thanks for the hasty reply

Brian P. Cleary

Guest Madmatt

There is only one version of the demo! Whatever you have IS the current version, its that simple... wink.gif

No patches for it either although there is a third downloadable scenario called Chance Encounter that you can grab from the battlefront Combat Mission page...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

Hmm...got that...oh well...I was doing good too...my GI's were about to flatten reisberg, and they were holding pretty solid in last defense. Oh well.

Thanks for the help, hope the full <and working version> comes out soon

Brian P. Cleary

P.S. Developers, if you're listening and have any input, it would be appreciated

BPCleary,

I think the problem you might be seeing is due to the appearance of reinforcements. I seem to recall some people reporting the game "hanging" when reinforcements arrived, when what was really happening was the dialog box that informed them of their appearance wasn't visible for some reason and so the game appeared to be locked-up. I think one workaround was to kind of click the mouse around the general area of the center of the screen in hopes of hitting the invisible 'ok' button. I suspect there was some driver issue that was the ultimate root problem but I don't remember now. You might try doing a search here on the forum for something like "freeze" or "hang," looking for topics that came out around the time of the demo (late November).

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Actually Brian, we aren't beta testing... we are playing about build 15 while the current build is fifty something (54?) We are playing a public beta for fun because Steve are Charles are really nice. smile.gif From the screenshots at combathq.thegamers.net the current beta must be incredible...

Welcome to the waiting smile.gif

- Bill

I think your build is actually 13.

We're in the high fifties now wink.gif.

I think the best way to put it is that the AI was put in about 4 builds before you got the beta demo and now it's umm 40some builds later. As you can imagine the game has come on a lot since then wink.gif

Thanks a lot to everyone who's replyed....I really love the game...it's important to me to have things to do, because I'm currently hospitalized and have been for the past two months...so, things to do are quite important for me smile.gif

Thanks for the great demo, and if you guys can release anything more or could maybe get they game out the door, one sick guy in New York would appreciate it smile.gif

Thanks again

Brian P. Cleary