LOS Question

I've been searching a while for this--yikes!, some of you guys have been around a long time. Anyhow;

Wouldn't it be a nice feature to be able to see a line-of-sight from a map point?--not just from a unit. There are times when I would like to see what my tank/squad will be able to see when they get "around that building, or over that hilltop". You can now do it 'manually' by going to ground level. Would this be too 'gamey' (I hate that word). Any thoughts, comments.

-------Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Guest Mirage2k

There have been quite a few discussions on this. The short answer is yes, many felt that it would have been "gamey." I think the "1" view is a good substitute for those that want one, however.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

This may not be Gamey at all. If the commander has a half-decent map of the area, he may do just that. I spent countless hours with a topomap deciding whether point A could be seen from point B, and from that figuring out good spots for FO and safe spots for me!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikeadams:

This may not be Gamey at all. If the commander has a half-decent map of the area, he may do just that. I spent countless hours with a topomap deciding whether point A could be seen from point B, and from that figuring out good spots for FO and safe spots for me!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The top maps do _not_ show that clump of tress, rock outcropping, you name it that messes up the LOS from A >> B. Least any I've used. Sure you know the slope, etc., but my take on this is that exact LOS is kind of iffy going just from a map.

I'm looking outside my window at the apartments next door, and I wonder what exactly would be in LOS if I was up on the roof. Since I know the area pretty well, I'm pretty sure what general areas would be in LOS, but unless I was actually up there, I'm not sure how much of the quicke mart parking lot next door would be in view, if the fuel pumps of the little airport across the road would be in sight, or anything else.

My point is that the floating camera with multiple view angles gives you a good idea on what areas are in LOS of a given spot (even better than most topo maps, probably), but unless you have someone right at that pot, how can you know?