Rangefinders in CM?

I carefully searched under "rangefinder" and "rangefinders," finding a whopping two threads listed. One mentioned big rangefinders on battleships. The other had to do with laser rangefinders on modern tanks. Neither is pertinent to what I'd like to discuss here.

After reading the extensive thread on CM's treatment of tank gunnery, I found myself wondering whether CM modeled rangefinders for the 88mm, 37mm and 20mm flak guns (towed and SP), as well as towed 88s configured specifically for antitank use (don't recall nomenclators right now).

Rangefinders were standard equipment for flak guns (provided target height, range, thus fuze setting needed for the 88 vs. aircraft, also showed whether target was in range for light flak) and in CM terms should greatly reduce both time required and rounds needed to put effective fire on the target, especially for the dreaded 88. I seem to recall that other antitank units (PAK 40) also used rangefinders, but maybe theirs were scrounged.

Given the enormous effort which evidently went into modeling gunnery in CM, I would really love to know whether the appropriate German units are modeled as being rangefinder equipped, and if so, how this is handled in CM? If not,why not?

I'd ask the same questions about Allied equivalent units, but I simply don't know enough about them to properly ask the question. Logic would suggest that they had rangefinders as well.

So CM mavens of BTS, what's the answer to these surprisingly unasked until now technical questions?

Respectfully and inquisitively yours,

John Kettler

I believe the standard equipment of a unit is covered in the accuracy factors, and that modeling an individual piece of gear is below the scale of the game. If you have experienced the 88s in Riesberg, you will know that they seem (usually) quite competent at long range.

Neither the binoculars for the observers, nor the scope for the sharpshooter, are specifically modeled, but are assumed to be part of the math for the unit characteristics.

Grenades, bayonets, and entrenching tools were certainly part of the infantryman's arsenal but aren't specifically modeled, either.