oh-58

Stoffel

Major,The KiowaGP version that is used in the game does it stands for the reconnaissanceversion?

This version has a radar that can look over treetops and can spot targets for assault helo's.(correct me if I'm wrong)

But if I hide them behind some trees I can't look over them ,you either has to go up with risk of being shot or get down and then you don't see a thing.If this function is put into the game than it would add a lot extra survivability for helo's on our virtual battlefield.The same goes for the FOunits they are equiped with laser /targetdevices

It would be nice if a FO-unit targets a certain opfor unit for an Apache.

The helicopter can fire it's missiles from a covered position and move out of harms way.

------------------

h.s.

Guest MajorH

>This version has a radar that can look over

>treetops and can spot targets for assault

>helo's.(correct me if I'm wrong)

The main problem with adding that feature to TacOps is that the capability in the real world is very difficult to actually use. It takes a skilled pilot and just the right sort of terrain to be effective. If I added it to TacOps, the capability would tend to unrealistically be there all the time.

>It would be nice if a FO-unit targets a

>certain opfor unit for an Apache.

>The helicopter can fire it's missiles from a

>covered position and move out of harms way.

Last time I checked, Apache ATGM fire from a completely masked position with laser painting by a third party was still in development and testing and had not been fielded. Anyone know for sure?

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 03-11-2000).]

I asked this because there have been reports about Dutch commandoforces and marines who were equiped with such devices.

These reports say they were operational in small teams during the campaign in the Former Yougoslavia to light up targets for aircraft(mainly to save ammunitions and collateral damage or as testcase?)

I also know that some units in the Dutch airmobile brigade uses target laser designaters in combination with artillery and there were plans to experiment with helo's.

These plans were formed some years ago.

And finally Iread an article about blinding lasers.

The MT mentioned a system called Dazer intended to blind or damage the eyes of a soldier or simply for illuminating targets for havier AT forces.That is all I know therefore I had this question.

------------------

h.s.

The Apache does indeed support indirect targeting. Any of the OH-58D, AH-64A or D, or any ground laser designator can do it. The Copperhead of course uses a similar set up for its lasing.

Whats more, the OH-58 and FIST-V can lase for air force munitions so long as they know the right code. I am sure the AH-64 can as well.

The D can pop up, acquire its targets, sink back down, transmit the targets to all other AH-64A or D, and all can fire their radar guided missiles for up to 10 - 15 seconds after the radar look and still have a high Ph.

The OH-58D does not have a radar, only the AH-64D, not yet in wide service.

The way you would model this in TACOPS, I suppose would be to bring the thing stationary behind a treeline (or in trees) and let it hover, then give it LOS as for NOE, but with a very low (say .05) target exposure.

There is a Dazzler prototype that was offered to the 1st ID in Desert Storm. It was mounted on a Bradley and detected then blinded any optical sights in its range. It probably also blinded anyone looking through said sight.

We didn't use it and it is still only a prototype/experimental device.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Assassin 6 (edited 03-11-2000).]

The RN has had a similar piece of equipment they call LDS. Laser Dazzle Sight. They were mounted on at least Type 22s and HMS Invincible in the Falklands, which makes them the guts of 20 years old. Because of the difficulties inherent in flying at Vlow level on a strafing run, and the relatively lower amounts of targets, I'll assume that the technology was far more feasible for naval than ground use.

There were at least two of the Bradley dazzlers I can't recall the name, fielded in the Gulf.

On a more discomforting note, they've come up with a chemical laser system which is designed to get kills on incoming missiles, it has a whopping rate of fire and kill rate, but is too unreliable and large to mount on warships as yet.

NTM