M60A1 vs M60A3 Tanks

Darren

Major: Two questions regarding the M60 tanks:

1. Shouldn't the M60A3's 105 gun have a better to-hit probability than the A1 version's? I was always under the impression that the main differences were that the A3 had a stabilized gun and laser rangefinder whereas the A1 did not.

2. When I look at the photo in the game the bottom picture clearly shows reactive armor blocks. Will we get an M60 version in a future upgrade that reflects this feature?

Thanks for producing the most realistic modern land warefare game.

Darren

The M60A1 has had stabilization since I was a platoon leader - 1976.

The M60A3 should have better to hit numbers because of its digital fire control, which makes the stabilization better, but the machinery on the A3 was the same as the A1, except for the digital stuff and the Thermals. (which were wonderful. I actually like the A3 thermals better than the M1's, becaue it is a three inch "TV" rather than something you have to put your eye up to.

The Marines fielded an M60A3 with reactive armor in the Gulf. They are only installed when you need them, though, and are not typically installed for training.

Same with the Bradley.

Yeah that's right when the Marines were heading towards the gulf they stopped in Subic Bay, Philippines. I was photographing the arrival of the task force when they Marines landed for PR purposes and to check all their heavy equipment on land before heading onwards to the Gulf. The M60-A3's were all equiped with reactive armor.

Guest MajorH

The official designation of the M60 tank model last used by the Marines was M60A1. The USMC made some modifications to it that gave it some but not all of the M60A3's capabilities. A new stabilization system and new thermal sights were added but I don't think it ever got the M60A3's other advanced fire control equipment.

USMC M60A1s in Desert Storm were equipped with addon reactive armor - mainly on the turret and hull front. There were plenty of gaps in the reactive armor due to the many 'bumps' present on the outside of the M60A1.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 03-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by MajorH (edited 03-09-2000).]