You've got to be Kidding!!!!

I just played the demo of CM. I can't believe how ridiculously great this game is!

THIS is the game i have been waiting for for some time now! Its even going to have an editor?!! Goddamit!

I love to play all the close combat games, but this is quite the evolution in game design. This is what I imagined when playing close combat!!!! When I read that CM is turn based, I thought that it would really suck- but they really made it work.

I think that this game could and should make wargamming more popular.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gunther:

I just played the demo of CM. I can't believe how ridiculously great this game is!

THIS is the game i have been waiting for for some time now! Its even going to have an editor?!! Goddamit!

I love to play all the close combat games, but this is quite the evolution in game design. This is what I imagined when playing close combat!!!! When I read that CM is turn based, I thought that it would really suck- but they really made it work.

I think that this game could and should make wargamming more popular.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welcome to the forum Gunther, I believe in your exuberance you are saying what lots of us think, minus the bit about loving to play CC, of course...

Please note that all smilies and their relatives on this iMac have been involved in a tragic accident, wiping out the whole lot. Spare a tear.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

Not only does this game come with an editor, but a quick random battle generator. Just tell how much of what (hills, trees, buildings, etc.) you want in it and it'll generate a battlefield for you.

But for a example of just how powerful the editor is, go visit CMHQ at combathq.thegamers.net and then check out the Special Event "DAM". The dam was created by just tweaking the elevations of the "sidewalk" terrain tile.

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 06-05-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Umm, there was a LITTLE more to it than that OB err I mean Maximus, but the fact still stands that the Map Editor is incredibly powerfull and in just the Demo sceanrios you have already seen a pastoral plain with small elevation breaks (CE) a little valley village (Reisberg) a dramatic rolling hill vista alonf the West Wall(VoT) and a nice wooded town on the base of a large hill (LD).

And you guys have even gotten a glimpse of the nightmarish Bocage!

Wait to you have to fight it out in a crumbling burning inferno like Aachen or Nijmegen or the desolate snowscapes near the towns of Krinkelt and Rocherath (spelling probably wrong) or the sleepy little town of Wiltz, or relive some tension filled moments at Ramelle or peer at the awesome spectacle of the HOTTE DAM or the fields and folds south Caan or dozens of other landscapes.

Your imagination is the limiting factor here NOT the editor...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Krinkelt and Rocherath? Aren't those locations mentioned in Mcdonald's "Company Commander"? I just bought the book a week ago (great book!) and seem to remember something about his company assaulting those towns.

I'd check my copy but the book is now packed away.

Jason

------------------

Betas available to everyone are just publicity stunts anyways. -FK

Guest Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

Krinkelt and Rocherath? Aren't those locations mentioned in Mcdonald's "Company Commander"? I just bought the book a week ago (great book!) and seem to remember something about his company assaulting those towns.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Defended is more like it...Yes those two twin towns (called that since they were virtually on top of each other) were key defensive positions for the allies in the early part of the Bulge campaign....

They feature prominently in Time For Trumpets and Company Commander...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-07-2000).]

There's also a very good account of the fighting in the "twin villages" of Krinkelt and Rocherath in "Battle: The Story of the Bulge" by John Toland. It has been one of my favorite books since I was 12 years old. I'll never forget the passage that German tanks would drive over the Americans' foxholes and idle, suffocating those poor guys in their foxholes. Also remember the passage early in the battle when an American spotter who was positioned on the second floor of a building was radioing in the number of German tanks he could see. When asked how close the tanks were, he said, "I could piss out the window and hit at least six!"

There's also a very good account of the fighting in the "twin villages" of Krinkelt and Rocherath in "Battle: The Story of the Bulge" by John Toland. It has been one of my favorite books since I was 12 years old. I'll never forget the passage that German tanks would drive over the Americans' foxholes and idle, suffocating those poor guys in their foxholes. Also remember the passage early in the battle when an American spotter who was positioned on the second floor of a building was radioing in the number of German tanks he could see. When asked how close the tanks were, he said, "I could piss out the window and hit at least six!"