Assault and engineers

A question : when I command my infantery to run into an enemy occupied house or closer to an enemy tank, is this similiar to an 'Assault' command?

How can I bring my egineers to blow a bridge (or maybe a house) with their explosives? I don't mean an accurate prepared explosion - just throw their explosive at a pier an run away. Should be enough, at least for a small bridge or maybe a medium wooden bridge. They can take a Kingtiger this way...

Using that command to get to the house basically means -

"Damn the torpedos, full speed ahead, get to that house at all costs and don't stop for any reason."

You also can't spot the enemy for squat so expect them to get blasted when they run into the house.

Your engineers cannot blow houses or bridges.

Blowing bridges is not as simple as hurling a satchel charge at it. Have ya watched engineers blow bridges on TV? You need to cut the structural supports. Typically done using shaped charges.

I know it seems obvious, but a bridge is not a King Tiger. It has no moving parts, fuel, or other parts that are easily damaged and catch fire.

Put a satchel charge on top of the engine bay of a Tiger and it has a great chance to do serious damage to it. On the other hand a charge laying on a bridge road won't do squat.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phoenix:

Blowing bridges is not as simple as hurling a satchel charge at it. Have ya watched engineers blow bridges on TV? You need to cut the structural supports. Typically done using shaped charges.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can actually blow up bridges with surface charges. That is not just very practical and only used in situations when you dont have time for anything else (The formulas used to calculate right amounts of explosives are not the most simple ones) and since they always require huge amounts of the explosive stuff.

On the other hand, it is rather difficult to 'model' how real engineer squad works in computer game. I mean, clearing a minefield is work that can take hours (or you can always hurry and end up having your whole squad killed or/and crippled). Well, you can also blow up a clear path through the minefield but it's not always the best option. Quite bad if you have AT mines that are dugged into ground actually.

I'd personally also like to see the ability to quickly lay down set of AT mines (2 AT mines every man, it takes about 2-3 minutes to set up. Mines are not properly dug into ground but are camouflaged) as it is big part of engineer work.

MS.

Scipio..Ya, I was confused for a bit about it too. You can get your Infantry units to use their demo packs on buildings if the building is occupied by the enemy, you just area target the building and plot movement...its performed during a close assault. A tactic I had used on me while I was supporting an attack for a VL was to be assaulted by several units at once...they blew the building and my troopies sky high!

------------------

Run in circles, scream and shout...Brown side in, green side out...

[This message has been edited by Radar (edited 12-27-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mika:

You can actually blow up bridges with surface charges. That is not just very practical and only used in situations when you dont have time for anything else MS.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My comments were in relation to CM. Engineers in the game don't carry man portable tactical nukes or anything with anywhere near enough power to level a bridge by simply throwing the charge on the deck. They've got satchel charges and that's what I was referring to.

Obviously if you have enough explosives you

can pretty much blow up anything.