Overlay Function

pmaidhof

Can anyone enlighten me on the procedure to utilize the map overlay function. (Preferably not the Major, I'm sure he's busy on the more pressing items). wink.gif

I understand why we would use them, just haven't found anything in the manual discussing it.

Thanks

------------------

Semper Fi,

Pete

mar03

From the 'readme.txt' file on the TacOps CD...

MAP OVERLAY MODE

A 'map overlay' is a file that you make yourself - there aren't any in the package. 'Map Overlay' is an experimental CPX/exercise support feature that went into the program at the last minute. It was added as a first step, experimental CPX umpire support tool for communicating the current game situation in both a graphic and interactive format. I now leave it to the users to figure out what can be done with the feature 'as is' and to let me know what should be added to it in the future.

To use the feature, you must first select (checkmark) the 'Options/CPX Umpire Mode' menu item to place TacOps into CPX umpire mode. This will enable/activate the 'Reports/CPX Overlay to File' menu' item.

Then whenever the user wants to create a 'Map Overlay' for distribution he selects the 'Reports/CPX Overlay to File' menu item, assigns a blue overlay password and a red overlay password, and then clicks OK. The program then saves one binary file (i.e. not text) which contains the complete game situation rather than just the contents of the old situation report and spot report.

This one file can then be distributed to both blue and red players along with one or two passwords which control how much info it reveals. When this file is loaded into the viewer's copy of TacOps (or eventually a free utility) the viewer will have the same exact map display, info features, report features, and user interface as if he had loaded a saved game - except that he can not give unit orders nor run a combat turn. He can examine units, produce reports, look at arty and air status, plot air and arty missions (graphics only), see the fire support markers on the map, etc. He can move units around on the map using shift + click, add them, delete them, split, join, load, unload, etc.

The umpire controls user access to the information in the overlay by using a blue overlay password and a red overlay password when he creates the overlay. If a viewer is later given only the blue overlay password then he will be able to see all blue units but he will only see red units which were spotted during the previous combat turn. If a viewer has only the red overlay password then he gets the opposite view. If a viewer is given both passwords then he can see all blue and all red units regardless of their spotted status.

The first iteration of this feature may not be particularly useful or smooth to use but it should provide a base for user comment and subsequent improvement.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com