Retreat Logic Tweak Possible?

It appears to me that units retreating out of cover almost always run directly towards their "home" map edge. This occasionally creates some unrealistic and deadly situations. For example, last night the following occurred:

I had a bazooka team in a building in the back corner with an ambush on the road. A KT drives up (with his turret pointed backwards!) and the bazooka shoots at just a few meters, hits the side of the turret, and has no effect frown.gif The KT starts shooting at the bazooka, who gets off one more ineffective shot and runs. Unfortunately, instead of running out the "back" of the building away from the KT, he runs out the "side" where he is blown away by the KT and a nearby Stug.

Hopefully this drawing works:

STUG.______

........!........!

.KT....!B......! -> should run this way.

........!------!

.........!

.........V runs this way, killed.

My question is can the logic that considers home base, cover, and enemy location be tweaked so that retreating guys use cover better. I understand there has been a slight tweak for guys caught in the open so that they avoid enemies better. Can this be extended to guys retreating out of cover?

------------------

USGrant

When the game is over, the kings and pawns go in the same box. - Old Italian Saying

[This message has been edited by USGrant (edited 12-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by USGrant (edited 12-17-2000).]

I had almost the exact situation yesterday. I was fast moving a bazooka into a heavy building. He was adjacent to the building and started to take fire.

Instead of continuing on into the building to take cover, he ran back across open ground towards his own lines. He was promptly cut down in transit by the armor he was supposed to attack.

Similarly, I believe the Withdraw command only allows movement towards the home map edge, when you may wish to withdraw towards better cover on a flank. It is important to prevent the use of this command for no-delay assaults of enemy units, but there needs to be some flexibility in positioning (perhaps allowing a withdraw in a 180 deg. fan away form the nearest enemy unit, instead of the 60 or so degrees towards the home map edge that it currently allows)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mPisi:

(perhaps allowing a withdraw in a 180 deg. fan away form the nearest enemy unit, instead of the 60 or so degrees towards the home map edge that it currently allows)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been thinking something similar. Allow retreats/withdraws in the 180 degree arc towards the home map edge, and modify based on nearby, spotted enemies and nearby cover. Ignore enemies at 100+ meters.

------------------

USGrant

When the game is over, the kings and pawns go in the same box. - Old Italian Saying

I just ran a half dozen tests and units in the situation described above invariably do one of two things when fired upon by the KT at close range:

1. They cower in place (which is reasonable).

2. They run out of the building into the clear directly towards their home map edge. Instead of running 3 meters out the "back" of the building and getting out of LOS.

This happened to units in pinned, shaken, and routed status. A couple of time, after they ran 10 yards or so out of the building they ran back to it (if they survived that long).

------------------

USGrant

Guest MantaRay

Ya, this kind of makes me cringe too. I have even had troops start back towards the edge of the map, get fired at, and go towards the fire, then get going back towards the edge again. Looked like a ballet performance. Poor guys.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder