Heroes using abandoned weapons!

I was playing tonight and it hit me... Why isn't it possible for you to reman a weapon (Machine gun or somthing simliar) with other surviving crew or units if the weapon is undamaged...

I was playing a home made map, and one of my jeeps was abandoned when an unspotted MG pillbox began firing at it... Nobody was injurred and the jeep didn't display a knocked out status when thew shots danced around it... it also had a mg on it... So why, when the fighting got less intense around the jeep, can't I reman the jeep? I mean if it is undamaged, and the crew just bailed due to danger... shouldn't they be able to climb back on and carry on the fight?

Ok sure maybe the tires where hit ok fine, but what about other weapons? or equipment...

Even to some lesser degree enemy weapons and equipment? I suppose you would have to make the weapon less effecitve to people not trained with a particular weapon, but in real life, if one guy fires the bazooka, and the other the ammo...why can't you detach a man, any man to carry ammo for him? I'm sure it happened in real life? I'm not comaplaining, but maybe it could add an element to the game... such as capturing weaponry, or making it so that a stationary gun that took not damage could be used by similarly trained men? I mean I played the scenario with the tigers vs the pershings (I can't spell it, let alnoe say it) lost my stationary cannons, at one point and began wondering why I couldn't just take the remaining crew from two of them and make one of em operational again.

One of them was just listed as abandoned, so technically I think it should be possible. I as a force of habit I more often than not retarget abandoned vehicles on purpose to make sure they blow up so as to be sure it can't be remanned, or the mg be reclaimed etc... just as you would do in real life (plus it is fun to see em blow up when they are not dangerous), I know on opperations you can and should be sure to obliterate downed vehicles and equipment so you can be sure it won't be repaired and sent back at you later on... but why isn't it remotely possible on just plain ole battles...

to complicated to code... Not as realistic as I think it is?

Oh well hope one of you CM gurus at BTS can help me out on this one...

And I won't offended if I am wrong in my opinion that some weapons can be remanned in real life...

Guest Germanboy

There have been lengthy discussions on this, try a search.

Otherwise, the short answer is that 'abandoned' can mean slight damage (e.g. holes in the radiator) that can not be fixed on the battlefield in the scope of a CM battle. Therefore the weapon/vehicle is no longer serviceable for the next hour or two. If you own the battlefield, you may be able to reman it between battles in ops.

Heroes are a rare commodity on any battlefield. Coding this stuff in would IMO lead to very gamey behaviour, so I am quite happy it is not.

------------------

Andreas

All nice ideas and so on but it also has to be coded in. (and that cost time)

probably a lot of those features are going to be included in CM2.

try doing a search, those things have been discussed a lot; why and why not to include.

S.

Thanks that was the kind of answer I was looking for... Though I am not sure just how gamey it would make it... It would for sure be hard to make fair... I mean one second your tank is abandoned the next your spotter team is driving it... LOL

I think it could be done... but to be honest the game is fine without it... just thought it might be interesting to have possible... I will use the search to see what others have said, maybe I missed something... THANKS! smile.gif