Arty countdown.

Ned

What seems to happen is that until the final minute, the seconds part of time remaining is truncated, so ~1 minute left is anything from 1:00 to 1:59. If the FO has los. The countdown goes half as fast when the FO doesn't have los. It seems to me that this is the easiest way to program things, taking into account the fact that your FO may be moving while calling in arty, and thus may go from not seeing the target to seeing it and back again, and that it's assumed that the standard is firing at a target with los.

Dr. Brian, the dispersion of the shells is about twice what it would be normally, if the FO has no los to the target when the shells start falling. I'm not sure what happens if the FO gains or loses los to the target while shells are falling.

Our resident arty boys have had some problems with this modeling, and I believe BTS will be looking into it further for CM2.

-John

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

This is a FOW issue I believe. Basically what it does is introduce some presumably realistic uncertainty into your planning process. Large calibre arty was controlled at higher levels in the chain of command. Imagine the following: you have been asked to attack some minor target, but because there is a lot of arty available you were promised some corps level arty support, present in form of a spotter. Now unfortunately the Germans did not know that your Corps CO did not plan on anything else happening when giving you that and lauch a strong attack at a critical point somewhere else on the frontline. You don't hear about it, and it does not affect your attack directly, so you still have to go ahead. But Corps has now decided that the 8inch batteries promised to you are better employed defeating the German attack. Meaning you go down in the merit order of support and have to wait longer to receive your fire. And that is why one minute is not one minute. I am fairly certain that for lower level assets like 81mm mortars (batallion-level assets) this delay is much less, but could be wrong. So basically this is in the game to keep you on tenterhooks a bit, and to make your planning more difficult. Which is good.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure the fact that the FO is even there is 'simulation' of arty being allocated to your sector.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

A major source of Wild Bill scenarios!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

Question then. Can you drop arty down, when the FO doesn't see the target (i.e., no LOS)? How bad is the error or, how good is the accuracy?

I didn't think you were allowed to do this. You would need a LOS to drop arty, but, am I correct to say you DON'T need a LOS?

Thanks in advance!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/010543.html contains a discussion about accuracy and ETA. You might want to check it out, especially the post about accuracy by Bullethead.

Dschugaschwili

[This message has been edited by Dschugaschwili (edited 11-16-2000).]