Ambient sounds pausing play

Has anyone discovered that with the ambient sounds enabled that the game pauses in both action and orders phase? I notice that there is a disk access of the drive that has my CMBO installed on it when the pause happens. The pause lasts for 1 to 2 seconds and then repeats in about 10 seconds after that. I am sure there is a repeated wave file access for the sounds but I was wondering if this could be fixed? For now though I am quite happy to shut off the ambient sounds. A very very small price to pay for such an excellent game. Oh and yes this happens with patch 1.01 with no MOD sounds loaded.

Guest KwazyDog

Zhammer, try doing a full install to the hard drive, this will load all of the ambient sounds to your drive which is a lot quicker than your cdrom. I think youll find this will fix your problem, *hopefully* smile.gif

Hmmm... This is strange. Maybe its the access speed of the hard drive? No, maybe something else. Processor speed? Not enough memory? Maybe if you folks described your system a little? And maybe post over at the technical forum would be good idea.

If your just curious about what others see, on my PIII500, 128 Meg, with Ultra-Wide 2 Cheetah drive, I have no pause at all with ambient sounds on. Never play without them, they really increase the immersion level to even a higher level.

Full install is usually the answer. I suspect hardware limitations after that (long hard drive access times).

[This message has been edited by kump (edited 07-04-2000).]

I will post on the tech forum thanks. But just for info sake I have a PII 400 128M and a GForce 256 32MB video card. It is a full install and I have a wide SCSI Adaptec with Fujitzu drives. Thanks for the info folks, enjoy the game. I know I am but the wife does not appreciate the finer art of a perfect wargame smile.gif

Zhammer,

Your system sounds like its more than up to the task, so something is very strange there. Don't know why there would be pauses. Good luck in getting a better post than this "sorry to hear that" post I'm doing frown.gif Wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. I would uninstall, defrag, and reinstall. And then I would continue to ask tech support. You definately want the ambient sounds going, its worth the work.

What soundcard? I have a PII/266, 128MB, ATA/33 HD, full install, and I never get sound-related pauses. However, I also have a SoundBlaster Live, so it is a minor hit on CPU utilization. If you have some generic card, or a Aureal-based card (esp. version 1), then that may exacerbate the problem due to a big CPU hit.