Is there a method for moving from building to building on city maps?

Abbott

I think it makes sense that you can not enter building from direction where there was other building.

Because if there isn't door between them (because you couldn't enter from one to another when they both were still standing) how could you enter if you destroy other building.. there is still wall of still standing building without any doors or other holes.

------------------

jK.MkIII

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

I think that if passage through the walls is made universal, it will be equally unrealistic as the current system with no passage is, therefore there will be no gain

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I disagree. I think that forcing troops to run into the street 6 times a block is a worse realism compromise than allowing them to advance within the modeled row of buildings. Again, I think allowing movement "through" abutted buildings would model a host of micro-terrain that is not represented (gardens, roofs, basements, alleys less than 20 ft across, exterior stairwells).

All arguments about "solid walls" were invalidated by BTS when they decided to model buildings without specific doors and windows (which I have no problem with at this scale - this isn't Sniper!).

------------------

USGrant

When the game is over, the kings and pawns go in the same box. - Old Italian Saying

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by USGrant:

I guess I disagree. I think that forcing troops to run into the street 6 times a block is a worse realism compromise than allowing them to advance within the modeled row of buildings. Again, I think allowing movement "through" abutted buildings would model a host of micro-terrain that is not represented (gardens, roofs, basements, alleys less than 20 ft across, exterior stairwells).

All arguments about "solid walls" were invalidated by BTS when they decided to model buildings without specific doors and windows (which I have no problem with at this scale - this isn't Sniper!).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, I know this will sound arrogant, but it is not meant to be. Have you ever been to a European city built with turn-of-the century solid buildings adjacent to each other? It does not sound like it, really. These sections of cities are characterised by wide streets, inner courtyards, and very solid firewalls between individual buildings. There are usually tunnel-like entrances to the courtyards, but not alleyways, and no gardens. Streets are usually wide (>20m).

So I would stand by my original point - to allow squads that do not have the means to blsat the walls to move through them would be equally unrealistic as the current system is.

The second point I don't get. What has the absence defined doors and windows got to do with the fact that there are solid walls between adjacent buildings? I can not see the relevance at all.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-21-2000).]

I too, found troops dashing into the street only to be blasted.

But a couple of guys are correct. This only happens when two Large Heavies are placed next to one another.

I try to intersperse buildings, in an urban environment, to avoid placing two Large Heavies even at diagonals to one another (much less adjacent). If done right, it can look densely urban but not all "blocky" with a single building type dominating the aesthetics.

Stoner

PS- yes, I know, this doesn't solve the problem, but designers should take note