Buildings collapse too easily?

hehe this has been discussed a lot: basically, unless it was a medeval church with three ft thick walls, it is reasonable to have buildings collapse. [3 ft thick walled buildings not modeled in cm]. light buildings were probably wooden, heavy buildings are not likely designed to withstand high explosives.

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

Guest Shatter50

Shatter here

I know what you mean about the buildings collapsing, over time I have learned to wait until a building collapses before I position infantry in them. Although when there is no or small amounts of enemy armor it is relatively safe to put troops in the buildings just remember when facing a large force of Arty fire or armor wait until the building collapses.

[This message has been edited by Shatter50 (edited 10-31-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mjlamb:

Hello!

Do buildings collapse too easily? Mike<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not ever having seen the effects of HE fire on buildings I would still think the answer is 'no'. Remember that if buildings were used as part of a defensive line, they were usually reinforced. Other than that, outside cities buildings were maybe not used as defensive positions as often as people seem to think. Generally, if you use buildings as cover, don't hunker down in them, keep moving.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 10-31-2000).]

I think the buildings are modeled appropriately in terms of how many shots it typically takes to destroy one. The only "problem" I see is that it's an all or nothing deal where the building graphic is concerned -- standing one second, gone the next. That's more a matter of coding and graphics compromise than a real gameplay problem. I think I read somewhere that CM2 will reflect progressive damage in more detail. Seems to me that would be a must for a battle like Stalingrad.

Hmm? What? Oh, we're talking about building destruction! And there I went to all the trouble of linking to a thread about picking wild mushrooms. Say, has anyone noticed that buildings in CM collapse all of a sudden? I think troops should be programmed to evacuate a building before it collapses, because sometimes a tank magically appears and demolishes buildings which I've crammed with a whole company of men, all within 60 seconds thus depriving me of an opportunity to save them. The game must be reprogrammed to prevent me taking casualties.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

Say, has anyone noticed that buildings in CM collapse all of a sudden?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, you don't say! I mean, that's so, what shall I say, ungroovy. I mean, what about my god-given right to be a ****e CO and still not lose any men? I mean, that's like Babylon, man. I mean, that's like, they have that right in Close Combat, dude.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 10-31-2000).]