Rules of the game?

I've played CM for several months now, but only recently over the internet. Is there a more detailed description somewhere of the various modes of play (Attack, Assault, Probe etc.) than in the manual? Exactly what does it take to cap and hold a flag in each mode of play. I tested several options in hot-seat mode, and am figuring it out the hard way, but was wondering if the game designers simply wrote up the logic somewhere.

Thanks folks for an OUTSTANDING game!

The difference between the styles of engagement you mention primarily are the force allocations.

In the probe, the attacker / defender ratio is about 1.35:1.

Example: In 1,000 point game the defender gets 1,000 points worth of men and equipment; the attacker gets 1,350. The difference is because the attacker does not have the benefit of digging in and casualties are assumed higher because of the nature of attacking rather than defending.

In an attack engagement, the ratio is 1.5:1 (attacker gets half again as many troops. this was recently down-graded from 1.6:1)

In a meeting engagement, it's 1:1 ... nobody's digging in, both sides are equal.

In an assault, the ratio is 2:1 ... you're assuming high casualties due to an attack against heavily defended, fortifed, etc. opponent.

As far as capturing and holding the flag ... you've hit on the very essence of warfare. Use what resources you have to accomplish your mission.

Hope this helps.

------------------

"Moriarty, you suck." -- Dunno, but somebody must've said it somewhere along the line

Thanks for the info. After further "research" (playing both sides of hotseat), I found that it "appears" that in Assault, the flags are farthest from the attackers, in Attack, they are a little closer and in Probe they are the closest to the attackers. This would explain why the "attackers" get the highest points in Assault(as compared to Attack and Probe). I also found that for a 1000 pt game, the attackers get 1750 for Assault, 1500 for Attack and 1350 for Probe, while the defenders always get 1000 pts.

Again, it would be nice to see a write-up somewhere by the game developers describing this in detail and confirming what "appears" to be the way this is set up....even though it is interesting doing the research. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 00Buckshot:

Thanks for the info. After further "research" (playing both sides of hotseat), I found that it "appears" that in Assault, the flags are farthest from the attackers, in Attack, they are a little closer and in Probe they are the closest to the attackers. This would explain why the "attackers" get the highest points in Assault(as compared to Attack and Probe). I also found that for a 1000 pt game, the attackers get 1750 for Assault, 1500 for Attack and 1350 for Probe, while the defenders always get 1000 pts.

Again, it would be nice to see a write-up somewhere by the game developers describing this in detail and confirming what "appears" to be the way this is set up....even though it is interesting doing the research. smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTS must have reduced the force allocation for assaults as well as the attack engagement. Interesting. Thanks for the research.

------------------

"Moriarty, you suck." -- Dunno, but somebody must've said it somewhere along the line

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moriarty:

BTS must have reduced the force allocation for assaults as well as the attack engagement. Interesting. Thanks for the research.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. It was done in the first 1.1 beta patch, I believe.

------------------

You mean my Java coded Real Time Bar Fight Simulator Madmatt Mission: Beyond BiteMe ISN'T going to be published?!?

Madmatt